Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 10, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Planning A Fall Tomato Garden

I have written a thread about Hot/Heat Set tomatoes and read the advice. I'm growing in Texas between DFW and Waco Zone 8A. It gets hot and humid here in late June and July, and then it gets really hot and dry in August through September. Most gardeners don't plant anything here.

I don't want to accept that gardens can't be grown here in fall, and I'm stubborn to a point. Growing a fall garden is far from that point.

The spring garden has produced tomatoes. Weeks of the plants being wet most of the time has stunted many plants and killed others. I started a thread about that too.

Today, I poured some Clorox in a seed tray, dome, and seed cells - flooded them, and rinsed, and they're ready, so what tomato seeds to plant in them?

Heat set tomatoes or maybe some tomatoes that I have saved seeds from?

While heat set tomatoes are proven to do well in heat in certain places - Tomatoes I've saved seeds from my own garden have lived and produced here before.

Shade and mulching is important here. Dragons and remesh cages - no more horizontal lines and tying down.

Should I post this? Yes, gardening isn't a text book thing. You learn and you grow, and hopefully the tomato plants do too.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote