Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 11, 2017   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

For now, I'm sticking with my thought that the Enjoya seeds I planted back on New years Eve are F2s, but it really doesn't matter to me. If they taste good, I'll grow them again, and if they are compost food - I won't grow them again. (This is my simplified way of looking at it.)

I do understand the interest of knowing why and how they grow the way they do. Besides, could you imagine marketing Jalapeno peppers with that kind of colorization? I've seen sites that base their Scoville units of other pepper varieties compared to jalapenos. And the public uses that scale even though jalapenos can be anywhere from 2,000-to-20,000+ Scoville units depending on variety, growing area, and conditions.

One example is my av over there <<< It's Tabasco peppers. If you pick them here in June, they have around 5,000 Scoville units heat or less. If you pick them in November after going through the hot Texas summer and Fall - they are closer to 100,000 Scoville units. Yet, they are rated as between 30,000 and 50,000.

I won't go on. It's getting late.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote