Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 27, 2017   #1
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

Default Going to try my apparent green thumb at this...

First time tomato/super hots seed grower. Love to eat the varieties but attempting to grow them from seed has really been calling to me. Loving all these great catalogs in the mail, ordering seeds, and downloading books/mags on my Kindle tablet and home PC. Will be a fantastically fun and learning experience I'm sure!

01/14/17 Prepared all seeds for germination using wet paper towel in ziplocs. The Super Hots include: Purple Ghost, Ice Cream Scorpion, 7 Pot Yellow, Carolina Reaper, Trinidad Scorpion Moruga, Chocolate Habanero, Scotch Bonnet Orange, Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Chocolate, and Caramel Ghost.

Tomatoes include: Zebra Tomato, and Mountain Gold Tomato

Using double solo cups with interior cup having drain hole. Watering from bottom but still having to spray and moisten surface as it can dry by days end with the minor lamp heat and nearby clip on fan for air movement. I live in a condo environment with two large patios but no real land to plant in the ground. My current raised beds are occupied by garden regulars and I intend to grow in large pots on my patios.

One week later on 1/21/17, I had two Scotch Bonnet seedlings break soil surface. All seeds under VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 300W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum.

Discovered my tomato seeds might have been buried a little too deep but not sure about all of them. They're taking longer than the Scotch Bonnets. I've decided I should germinate and plant larger variety to make up for losses. Placed first order for seeds with Tomato Growers Supply Company to include: Yellow Brandywine PS, Virginia Sweets, Cherokee Carbon Hybrid, Black, Giant Belgium, Costoluto Genovese, and another pepper - Fatalii.

Will begin germination of those seeds this weekend 1/28/16. As of today 1/26/16, all super hots mentioned above are still germinating! I've read they can take 2-4 weeks in extreme cases so I'll check every couple of days.

Will appreciate future input with any successful varieties that make it to seedling stage. I'll be asking for replanting suggestions from those who've tried and tested specific methods. Took me a little while but finally figured out how to load pics and the fact that my 4000x6000 shots were a wee bit large. Resized them to 50% and uploaded but man what a racket! Sheesh, almost gave up and figured I'd go at it again later with a crazy dose of do or die determination.

In the meantime, a couple of shots of the first little ones. Will update this thread as things evolve. Sure hope I get one or two good plants of each variety.

Last edited by KimchiMonger; January 27, 2017 at 12:33 AM.
KimchiMonger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
germinating seeds , super hots in pots , tomatoes in pots , viparspectra led lighting