Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 8, 2017   #11
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryman View Post
Yes, very funny Pete, and I can see that there might be some truth in what you say.
I never grew it, but I had a friend who did (waaaay back) and the vigor of those plants was astounding!

When I was young, a long time ago, some folks said that if you smoked that stuff it would make your babies born naked.
It was back in the mid 80s when I did this. I was in university and with the agricultural college part of our uni there was lots of research material on the subject one could read. The first gardening book I ever read was The Marijuana Grower's Guide. I had a 4' light fixture in the closet and several plants underneath with the lights hooked up to a timer.

The two things I remember most about it was first the smell of the plants. A lot like tomatoes. The smell was beautiful and healthy (It wasn't skunk weed I guess). The second thing I remember is that if you listened closely you could hear the plants growing. Seriously! The leaves would slide off of each other in that confined little space and there was a constant and quiet rustling of the leaves as they grew past one another.

When we decided to have kids the lights and the plants went to the dump. It was actually years later when I got into growing tomatoes and so far I haven't heard them growing but have only witnessed the changes afterwards. But I still remember the sound and that magical plant smell. The smell of my youth.

Confession is good for the soul. Growing tomatoes is even better!

Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote