Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 21, 2017   #1
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Hubby's Tomato Garden

My husband hasn't had a whole lot to do with my garden over the years, but he's always willing to lend a hand when I need it.

Today, for example, was tomato planting day and he always helps me get my 8' bamboo stakes pounded into place. After they were in, I carted over all my plants, made my selections (I had two of almost every variety to choose from), planted them and tied them to their stakes.

Two weeks earlier my husband had ordered three yards of topsoil to do some lawn re-grading/re-seeding, and they dumped three yards of compost in our driveway instead.

Knowing I was going to have extra plants, and seeing as how he had extra compost, he bummed some grow bags and a bunch of used Wonder Soil off me, mixed the Wonder Soil with the compost, filled the bags, and then went "shopping" among my spare plants.

I had promised myself that I wouldn't plant as many tomatoes this year, and that other than the dwarfs I would skip grow bags for extra grow outs. So now I have my down-sized tomato section in my raised bed, and he has his own personal container tomato garden along the fence.

His reason was that after all the work I put into grafting them, he wasn't about to let them go to waste! 💜💜

So here's what he decided to grow:

*Cuor Di Bue
*San Marzano Redorta
Seek No Further Love Apple
Azoychka
Orange Minsk (Heart?)
Buddy Runyon
Aunt Swarlo's Polish Paste

* these my husband got from an elderly Italian customer who had gotten his original seeds over a decade ago in Italy, and they are now the only two he grows.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote