Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 20, 2019   #16
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Bottom water only. I want my roots to reach down. Especially once i've potted up.
I'm a slob. But my seedling room is tidy-ish. If it gets chaotic it becomes unmanageable
once I'm off and running come warmer weather with seedlings everywhere.

I am officially in all 1010 trays. Started that a few years ago. No more red cups. I cut all my
1020 small cell trays in half to fit the 1010. Nine 4inch pots fit in a 1010. Sixteen 2and1/2inch
pots.

All my grow lights are fixed. Two 4ft shelves at 8inches to the lights. Two shelves at 16inches.
I just raise my trays. Better use of space. No fussing with chains. All my trays/seedlings are
at different grow heights.

I grow all winter so I need organization. Otherwise is is no longer much fun.
1010 trays I can spin one quarter, or pull it down to check, shake for gnats...check for water.
Right now I have 3 trays going. One is dwarf/micros, one is cherries, one an Artsy dwarf hunt.
A fourth is all salads and greens. (needs potting up). Next 1010 will be indeterminates. 1010's
let me spread out the seeding chore. I can do a flat at the dining table and water in the kitchen
sink being just 10x10 inches. Easy to cary one handed and open a door with the other.
(dropping a 1020 tray after all that work labeling is not funny).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019 seed starting.jpg (319.7 KB, 127 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote