Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 26, 2019   #1
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default climate change in your area

Yesterday I was reading an article that cited a 7% increase in atmospheric water vapor for every 1 degree increase in global temperature. This partly helps to explain how climate change is affecting the amount of precipitation dropped by storms. - there's more available up there. The problem is, some places are getting the load of it while others are getting none.
At the moment, much of the low lying land in eastern Canada is severely flooding... again. New Brunswick, Ontario and Quebec got extra snow in the winter, and then extra rain in the spring with icejams in the rivers... For some it is the second major flood in two years, and are starting to consider moving out of their homes to higher ground. By all accounts, we can expect these patterns to repeat more frequently than in the past.
https://phys.org/news/2019-04-canada...nts-years.html
Then I read another article, which talks about the terrible drought conditions presently in Northern Europe. I really had no idea how bad this is, as European weather rarely makes the news on this side of the pond. In Germany there are concerns of 30-80% crop loss if conditions don't change, and in Czechoslovakia wells are going dry and bark beetles are scourging the forest because of the dry conditions they enjoy.

https://phys.org/news/2019-04-forest...e-drought.html
Obviously this is having a big effect on farmers and gardeners everywhere, but the impact is different in different places. I wanted to start this thread to hear more firsthand from our members around the world, how their communities and farms and gardens are being affected.

Secondly if there are strategies or innovations in your community that helped to manage any kind of climate extreme upon your food or water supply, please share the news.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote