Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 19, 2007   #1
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Default Verde Claro type

DSCN1196.JPG

The thumbnail above is a close up shot of Verde Claro type of tomato. Be sure to click on it.

The rationale on showing this tomato fruit is somewhat complicated. A simple complexity, if you would.
  • An ontological breeding argument for the existence of the Verde Claro tomato variety is one where I am attempting the method of a priori proof, hopefully utilizing intuition and reason. This argument starts by examining the concept of achieving a Verde Claro, and arguing that it implies the actual existence of a Verde Claro; that is, if I can conceive of a Verde Claro, then Verde Claro exists as the classic or a facsimile of such.
  • Ontogeny is a concept I use that basically describes the origin and the development of a variety of tomato.
Verde Claro is a variety that I bred in anticipation of its very attributes. The Green Grape variety has been in my collections for over thirty years. Could I do better, knowing that knowledge has been bred unto me with many Genesisical moments.

So, the ontogeny of Verde Claro began with crossing the Green Grape tomato with as many pink skinned tomatoes as I could find in my collection or could buy seed of. Pink skinned tomatoes have a clear epidermis. So do white tomatoes, otherwise they would appear more yellow.

Green Grapes, or as I use to call them, Thompson Seedless Green Grape tomatoes, have a yellow epidermis. The ripening of yellow epidermis on green fleshed tomatoes makes it easy to determine ripeness. The ripe fruits become more amber in tone.

What would happen if I had a selection with a clear epidermis? Clear means claro in Spanish, and verde means green, and I anticipated a clear green fruit. See photo above.

So the Hide and Seek began. Many F-1 hybrids were made. All of the hybrids had yellow epidermis traits. Some of the hybrids were quite nice in flavors, sweetness, and vigor. Many of the more flavorful F-2 lines were sown with the again renewed anticipations. In some cases bulked F-3 seed of sibs were saved, others single fruits. and not just green fleshed either.

32 plants were bulked of one group of green fleshed tomatoes out of a certain progeny and one selected vine the next year began my F-4 seed of a Verde Claro. It went through several more single seed descent increases in several locations in California. I have various levels of filial generations of the Verde Claro and even Carolyn has one from this pre-conceptualed group.

However, I went back recently to this F-3 seed, especially those with yellow epidermis traits to see if I could segregate out a new version of Verde Claro. This is where the a priori juncture begins. Could I recreate the Verde Claro type from the genesis and for what purpose?

Yes, and for the purpose of having a normal seed size version rather than the super small seed of a Verde Claro.
Note the normal seed size. Later I will post a Verde Claro with the smaller seed.

Sweet, tender, flavorful, and packed with a revelation of living sensation.

The uses of such a tomato is like saying what is obvious, so I will use and choose cunning; I am going to start yelling that this one should be used as the female parent in some soon-to-be classic hybrids.
  • First, making the Green Grape a renewed classic. Too many are growing the strains that grow more bush like. This used in a hybrid will restore the vigor of the Green Grape, have normal seed size for early germination and plant growth, but will have reduced seed size in the finished fruit more in line with the Classic Green Grape. The reciprocal would not work. If you don't know, ask me.
  • Secondly, use this with the original strain called Verde Claro, especially if it is the right strain with reduced numbers of seed and seed size. The hybrid would be a perfect candidate for the issue of Hybrid Heirloom.
  • Used as a male or female with ARGG. What color of epidermis would it have?
  • Use your imagination or a bit of a priori.
  • If you can read this, tell me what you think.
Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote