Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 9, 2020   #1
Natalie2b
Tomatovillian™

Default New In-Ground Garden Layout/Spacing

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on spacing of rows/layout for an in-ground garden. We have four raised (4x8) beds that already have tomatoes, peppers, onions and celery planted using the square foot gardening method.

We tilled a 25' x 30' space behind the raised beds to plant melons, summer and winter squash, beans and cucumbers. Corn has little separate space at the North corner of the new bed, not included in the 25x30.

It is 25 deep/front to back, 30 wide/left to right. The front of the bed is SW facing. The rows will run SE to NW due to a slight slope in land. My initial thoughts are to make rows 4ft wide/deep with pathways of 12-18". Six beds at 4ft wide is 24ft. That would leave 6ft for 5 paths in between the rows. I can probably push it back just a bit to allow for 7.5ft to give 18" paths.

Does anyone else have in-ground gardens. What does your layout look like? Four foot wide beds work well in raised beds - I can reach in both sides, but will that work for this as well?

I'd also like to grow as much vertically as I can. I was thinking of using cattle panels in the back rows for winter squash and pumpkins and melons. The summer squash, beans, cucumber would be closer to the front using bamboo stakes/net.

We've done well with the beds, but this is our first in ground patch. Anything stick out as not feasible? Better ideas? Not worried about having too much food as we have three teenage boys, neighbors, siblings, parents that will gladly eat anything passed along.

Thanks for reading all this and your opinions/help!!
Natalie2b is offline   Reply With Quote