Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 20, 2020   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default Problem: Vendors sell different toms under the same name

Folks, it is increasingly obvious to me that a problem that Dr. Carolyn Male referred to often is affecting my garden. The problem is that tomatoes sold under the same name by different vendors is obviously different from vendor to vendor. I have had problems with this in regrowing tomatoes from different vendors, and getting different results.

You can see this clearly if you Google a tomato, then select see images. The tomatoes shown vary widely in color and size.

Eva's Purple Ball is just one example of a tomato that I like, but that is quite different from vendor to vendor.

Hence...my question. How can I select the right vendor to replenish my seed supplies? Should I just view the images and select the image closest to my idea of what the tomato should look like? Should I use the same vendor every year for that variety? Should I just save seeds and stop buying seeds?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote