Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 19, 2021   #1
Chrysos
Tomatovillian™

Default Best big hybrid for sweet taste, Best big Heirloom disease resist

I've been a member of this group for years, but this is my first post. I have discovered so much great information here. So terribly sorry to read of Carolyn's death in 2019, she shared a wealth of knowledge to so many here.
I've been growing tomatoes in my yard here in Vancouver WA (Portland suburb) for over 30 years. The last 10 years has been in raised beds which are so helpful as I get older and my back gets arthritic. I can't rotate my tomatoes, I have 2 12" raised beds, my other 3 beds are 2 ft high, all permanent structures. After this many years gardening in the same spot I have problems with disease. So I'm looking to try some hybrids that are disease resistant to add to my old reliable heirlooms.
My mainstay tomatoes that do well despite disease are Bloody Butcher and Sungold. They always do well and taste great to me, I prefer a sweeter tasting tomato. I'm taking a chance on Amish Paste this year, I love the flavor but sometimes it doesn't do well here.

I'm growing Brandy Boy this year, it has performed well for me in the past and has a great flavor. Black Krim is also a favorite, already in the ground.
Any suggestions for larger hybrid tomatoes, taste on the sweeter side with disease resistance? For taste reference Early Girl is my least favorite tomato, Pineapple is my favorite of all time but production and disease have taken it off my list. I've had moderate success with Striped German as a replacement for Pineapple but it isn't reliable here in the Northwest.
I'm looking for a variety that is usually available in nurseries for this year. Looked at Super Fantastic and Big beef but when no one mentions their sweet flavor, I'm suspicious that they are a more tart tomato.

I know I'm asking for the impossible but hoping this amazing group will have some ideas.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations!

Chrysos

Last edited by Chrysos; April 19, 2021 at 02:57 PM.
Chrysos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease resistance , hybrid , sweet