Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 23, 2024   #1
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Default To all you Dwarf growers out there.

I live in Southern Nevada that has one of the harshest climates in the US. Our summer’s are brutally hot (110-115 degrees, and our cooler weather Sept, Oct, Nov ranges between 45-70 degrees.

I have been considering trying to plant a few dwarf plants in five gallon pales in late August to see if I could grow some tomatoes in Sept-November. I normally grow tomatoes (if I can get them to produce before the brutal summer heat, but usually fail with most beside Celebrity or Early Girl. But as they are relatively tasteless and I would so like to grow some medium size heirloom tomatoes (preferably black) that tast relatively good in comparison to the above mentioned, I am looking for some ideas.

If I used 5 gallon pails, and the plants weren’t too tall, I might be able to take them in at night, come November. I couldn’t do this with the 15 gallon containers I now use, as I am an elderly older woman, who is not very strong these days.

People on the forum here have mentioned Tasmanian Chocholate, Rosella Purple and most recently Arctic Rose as for it’s very compact size. I am not sure how big Tasmanian Chocholate or Rosella Purple get, but if not so small are there any others that you might recommend for me to consider? I might add I am not a fan of cherry types, at least not to the extent of having to lift them daily in and out of the house.
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote