Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 17, 2009   #1
jsvand5
Tomatovillian™

Default Trying to choose one hot pepper and one more sweet. Need some suggestions.

I am going to try peppers in containers as a fall crop this year after my tomatoes are toasted from the heat of the summer. So far for sweets I have chosen: Corno Di Toro red and yellow, Giant Marconi, and Sweet Banana (but would be open to changing this one if there is something better suggested). For the hot pepper I have no idea. I want something that is somewhat hot but nothing that is impossible to eat and was hoping for something a little unique looking. Right now I am thinking of purple jalapeno, but am really open to anything. The hot pepper will primarily be used for salsa and stuffed like jalapeno poppers, but it does not really have to be a jalapeno. Thanks for any suggestions. Also, when would you recommend sowing the seeds if I am looking for a planting date of around the first of July?
jsvand5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2009   #2
robin303
Tomatovillian™

I was real happy with this one last year:
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...tem_no=PS11014
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2009   #3
jsvand5
Tomatovillian™

I was just looking at the TGS site and a few minutes ago and decided to switch from the Sweet Banana to the Nardello. Then I came here and saw that you recommended it. So it looks like that will be a good choice. Thanks for the suggestion.

The list I am probably going to go with unless someone tells me any of them are not good is: For the sweets, Corno Di Toro red and yellow, Giant Marconi, and Nardello and for the hots I am thinking Italian Roaster, and purple Jalapeno
Old March 17, 2009   #4
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Purple jalapeno was very pretty, but a little milder and less productive than regular jalapenos...At least for me, I grew it 3 years in a row.
Fresno is very reliable in my garden...A little hotter than a jalapeno...Plants are smaller and fairly productive...a great pepper for salsa and cooking...I grow 30 plus peppers a year and it has been my favorite for several years...
I also like Jimmy Nardello for a sweet...
Not sure of a source for Fresno...Mine came from Skyfire seeds 4 or 5 years ago and the last 8 seeds all germinated this year, but I need to save seed or I would send you a few...
Melrose is another nice sweet...Similar to Jimmy N, but thicker skinned and not as long...Incredible when ripe red.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2009   #5
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

we also like jimmy nardello for a sweet pepper. dolce italiano was pretty good too. grow italian had the latter. for a hot pepper, i like bulgarian carrot. there is a thread on that one. too hot for me to eat out of hand, but good in salsa or kicking things up a notch. never tried stuffing them.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2009   #6
jcmorse33
Tomatovillian™

Doe Hill Golden Bell from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange was a great sweet variety for me last year. Its sort of a flattened bell shape... 2-3 inches across but only 1 to 2 inches tall. Ripens to a bright golden color. Fairly early for me and productive to boot. Thick walled and sweet with none of the grassy flavor I typically associate with peppers.

I don't have a suggestion for the hot pepper as I haven't grown very many types yet and the ones I have haven't been anything special.

--Justin
jcmorse33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2009   #7
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

A mild-medium heat pepper I grow EVERY YEAR is NuMex Joe E. Parker. I wouldn't be without it. It's an Anaheim type chile that outproduces virtually any other in its class.

For authentic Santa Fe green or red chile sauces, use this improved, premium NuMex 6-4 version with higher yields. Peppers are tapering, 6-7 inch long, thick fleshed pods that mature from bright green to red. Used at either stage, they have thick crispy flesh and their lively flavour is mild. The 2-2½' plants are early and extraordinarily fruitful, producing 2x the yield of any other NuMex variety. Developed at NMSU Chile Pepper Breeding Program in 1990. Mild, about 800SHU.

You can use them for just about anything. I smoke them & dry them & then whenever I need an added kick I just break one up and stick it in a $10 coffee grinder and make powder for meat rubs, BBQ, etc. Fresh ones I make Billy Ogden's Peppers, a 4-star local favorite that recently went out of business, that are stuffed with a cheese mixture recipe and just pan fried in some EVOO. I also slice rings to top pizzas & other dishes too.

NuMex also has a few similar mild-medium varieties in different colors but similar shape & size; some are thinner walls. NuMex Sunrise is yellow, NuMex Sunset is orange, and NuMex Eclipse is brown. I usually grow Eclipse every year too. They also have a low/no-heat jalapeno called NuMex Primavera, as well as a multi-color stages jalapeno type called NuMex Pinata. It starts ripening light green to yellow to orage to red. It also has the lutescent gene like a couple tomatoes, the plants look golden green as if something is wrong with them. This is a normal characteristic of this gene.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by korney19; March 27, 2009 at 07:16 PM.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2009   #8
jsvand5
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I'll give those two a try. I have went a bit crazy on the hots. I have ordered seeds of the purple Jalapeno, Serrano's, Aji Amarillo, Ancho poblano, Datil, Piri Piri, Bhut Jolokia, Bulgarian carrot, and I bought plants of regular jalapeno and cowhorn from lowes.