Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old September 1, 2010   #1
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Default Low maintenance staking idea

I was looking at different staking method videos on youtube and came across a product called Tomato Cage Ring, which sounds like a good enough idea but the price to me is kinda ridiculous.

You can see diagrams and a few pics and diagrams here if you need help visualizing the concept. http://www.amazon.com/Package-galvan.../dp/B001J9FB7I

Now my idea is similar but uses readily available materials and is a hole lot cheaper.

Start with an EMT metal conduit stake, and some metal clothes hangers like you get when you go to the cleaners.

Now where I am kinda stuck is to either go the simpler route and just drill holes in the EMT and use that to attach the clothes hangers ahead of time, then just feed the plant through as they grow, or to figure out some kinda inexpensive clamp system so you just add rings as needed.

Either method you could make a stake that that will require you to not have to tie off plants as much if at all.

Kinda like the best of staking and caging combined.

Let me know what you think and any ideas on mounting the metal hangers.

If I figured it right a 10ft EMT and the hangers if you had to buy some each stake would be under $2 so a lot cheaper than caging and a whole lot cheaper than the tomato ring cage product.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2010   #2
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Use automotive radiator type clamps around conduit. slide hanger under clamp, and tighten it down. The hanger wire is a bit whimpy tho.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2010   #3
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
Use automotive radiator type clamps around conduit. slide hanger under clamp, and tighten it down. The hanger wire is a bit whimpy tho.

Yea thought about using hose clams pretty sure same thing as what you are referring to. Though the hangers are pretty cheap so might just do the drill a hole approach. if the hole is big enough that the twisted part can go through it think it will be plenty strong. 5 -6 hangers per EMT stake should hold plenty of weight.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2010   #4
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Drilling conduit has a habit of eating up drill bits. If you rap the wire several times around, it just might stay in place with the weight of the plant levering on it. You could twist about 3 coat hangers in a wire braid, that might be strong enuff to make your hoop.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2010   #5
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

One disadvantage of using clothes hangers outside is that they rust, and if there are any bends, they fail first where they bend! A neighbor was going to throw away a bunch, and I looked at them and thought I could use them in the garden. But after trying some out for a couple years, I'd rather buy a big roll of plastic-covered wire.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote