Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 5, 2015   #1
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Default how can you tell when a cantelope is ready?

When the coon eats it ! Also raked out the remnants of last night cheese dip in crock pot. Guess they don't eat maters, peppers, etc......

Guess it's time to get my trapper cap dusted off & clean my ruger .22

cantelope.jpg
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Sorry I have had mine eaten by rats, in tha past.
Now I have a suggestion and see how it works:

WRAP THEM LOOSELY WITH FINE MESH NYLON TULLE.

because of the "clingy" nature of the tulle, most ( rabbits, rats ..) will avoid getting tangled, as if it is a trap.
101 uses for nylon tulle.

Q:How to find out when to pic a melon ?
A: when the stem gets woody.
BUT that does not mean that the melon is fully ripe. What it means that it is not getting anything from the vine any more.

Take your lesson From tomatoes. At about slight suggestion of color break, tomato doe not get anything from the vine any more but it is not ripe yet. After that stage ripening as internal process within the fruit.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #3
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tip gardeneer, think I got some tulle. In regards to the tomato, I'm still a noob in alot of aspects and still let them "ripen" on the vine. Of course, problems happen from blush to red stage. But when is the right time?

Here is an example of one this morning for reference:

tomato.jpg

Is this too early? Or about right? TIA
Old July 5, 2015   #4
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

No intention of being obtuse or coming off as a tool. Have seen mention of picking maters at blush on this forum and no bene for leaving on the vine. Countertop cure just as swell and prevents late attack, and maybe? late crack. Just received another 3" of rain as well.

If there is an article of scientific speculation, or sound opinion, I have an interest in changing my ways. Furthermore, I am not a tomato snob and here to learn how to be better. Just a backyard gardener for the most part and still on the curve for sure.

Just wanted to clear the air if need be. I have read several accept this "early" pick method as factually based and would certainly increase health and harvest of my maters as well.

Thanks and have a great sunday.

- Curtis (a.k.a. my foot smells)
Old July 5, 2015   #5
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

So sorry for your lovely cantaloupe. We get ours in the supermarket shipped from Spain & no doubt it has some pesticide residue, but at least it is not eaten by other cteatures before it reaches our shelf.

Tomato picking time is very individual thing dictated by your climate, fauna population and other considerations. Thankfully, no such critters in our area. I love to get my black tomatoes as sun-ripe as possible, but have also tasted some that were picked green and ripened indoors - the flavor was heavenly enough to convince me that sunlight isn't the decisive factor. Always better to pick them at the stage that they are still edible, before frost and animals get them first...

Last edited by NarnianGarden; July 5, 2015 at 03:18 PM.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Now his foot smells like melon.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #7
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Now his foot smells like melon.
Hahahahaha!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #8
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

MFS, .. I would pick that tomato at once and beat the squirrels, birds, rats and others. hehe

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #9
Dane S
Tomatovillian™

That's too bad..... coons.... I had rabbits and voles. Ate my peppers okra and peas and herbs.
With cantalope type melons and casaba's I sniff the blossom end of the melon. When ripe it will smell heavenly. Ripe fragrant sweet melony goodness. Doesn't really work on watermelons tho. I use dry stem method for them.
Dane S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #10
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I had squirrels taking bites out of my tomatoes, only 2 varieties oddly enough. Over one weekend I watched from my window to see where they were coming from since no trees were close to that section of garden. Once I had their route figured out I started putting all my scrap produce under the tree they came from and some acorns/bird feed as well. It seems to have worked as I now see them at the "squirrel pile" often but no more bites from my maters. Coons are a different story, I have 2 coon dogs so no coons come around. Coon hunters would be glad to come hunt down that coon for you I'd think. I know they would here in SC. Good luck and I hope you get some good harvest before the critters.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #11
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Melons are just too good to resist. Sorry about your cantaloupe.

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #12
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

What a shame. I hope you have a few more to be able to pick and eat.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote