Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 20, 2015   #1
Sully1
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing Question (from a Dummie)

Can I start and grow tomatoes now for a fall crop? I want to start seeds inside and move to the green house in about 6 weeks. Is this OK? I'm new to growing and looking for advice. tyvm and hagd!,
Sully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2015   #2
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

I think if you're gonna start from seed you're gonna wanna get it done by the end of this month at the latest.

Some links to back me up since I'm no expert:
http://www.chron.com/life/gardening/...ng-1601587.php

http://easttexasgardening.tamu.edu/2014/07/18/tomatoes/
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2015   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Beaumont, TX is zone 8B or 9A. I would try Sungold because it grows so fast and produces early. For a larger tomato, maybe Early Girl or Celebrity. All are hybrids.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2015   #4
CDFarm
Tomatovillian™

Sully - another thing you can try is to cut a 5 to 6 inch sucker off an existing plant, and put it in water to see if it roots. If it does, you can then transplant it to either the soil or a pot, hopefully for a head start. A word of warning, try to do it on a cloudy day as the root system for a sucker is not very robust at first and has a hard time sustaining the existing foliage growth. Good Luck!
CDFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2015   #5
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

The shortening day lengths greatly impact the ability to get ripe fruit in the fall before frost in my zone. You may have more luck, but I suspect your yields/size/flavor may be negatively impacted.
Robert's advice is probably good. I would also say to go for it, but set your expectations at the right level.

Good luck!

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #6
AdrianaG
Tomatovillian™

You will buy a lot of time if you root some suckers instead of starting from seed. I thought it would be fun having a local Sucker Exchange for those wanting different varieties than what they are currently growing.

Last edited by AdrianaG; July 24, 2015 at 05:23 AM.
AdrianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #7
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

I'm in CA and just planted a whole bunch of plants in the ground. I started them from seed.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Honestly I think you are too late for zone 8b as I am in that same zone I believe. For the past two years the first killing freeze has come earlier than what has been the norm for the past 20 years or so. I have found that setting plants out is better done before the first week in August to assure ripe fruit because ripening is so slow latter in the fall. I have gotten a few ripe fruits off plants set out as late as early September but that was very unusual. Ideally I like to set out plants for fall from mid June through about the 3rd week in July for the best results. I think you might be better to go to a garden center and pick up some plants and set them out as soon as possible making sure they are well hardened off. Make sure to mulch the area you are planting in a day or two before planting and water the area well. Pull the mulch aside and set out the plants making sure not to bury them much deeper than they are in the cups. Pull the mulch back near the stems and clip off all the lower leaves on the plant and spray with a fungicide. Give it some water when it wilts and start feeding it weekly with Texas Tomato Food when it starts blooming.

Next year start your seed for fall tomatoes in late May or early June.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote