Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 13, 2015   #31
kath
Tomatovillian™

How nice, Worth! How exciting, Salt!!! Enjoy your book and seeds- I'm sure you will. So much fun!!

Just today a neighbor friend, who has been kind enough to commiserate with me concerning the catbirds pecking the heck out of my tomato crop last season, presented me with two fake owls to post on the corners of my garden fence AND is passing on a cold frame that someone had given to her! Like Christmas in the summer, I tell ya- what a blessing to be on the receiving end of the kind generosity of a good friend!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2015   #32
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Excellent choice! Congratulations Salt!
Worth-you better not be giving away stuff because you are leaving in some way!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2015   #33
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

LittleSalt... I am so happy for you and your wife. I know you will enjoy the seeds and we all will enjoy you sharing the pictures and you trials and successes of them.

Worth... Bless your kind and generous heart.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2015   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Excellent choice! Congratulations Salt!
Worth-you better not be giving away stuff because you are leaving in some way!

Not to worry I think I know what you are getting at and suspected people might think that.
Not leaving here or in anyway else.
Just now while waiting on my cured pork loin to get to 145 I was thinking of building my smoke house.
I will have to put a concrete slab in that is around 5 feet by 5 feet to build it on.
I'm figuering for my use and a little more it will be 4'X4" wide X 12'tall.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #35
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Funny how sometimes you just stumble across a bunch of people who are really special. About 4 years ago I got involved in volunteering to help seniors get food into their homes. During those last 4 years I have met the neatest/kindest volunteers you would ever want to meet. It sure seems to me that there is also just something special about people who love to grow tomatoes (or other fruit and vegetables). I have actually noticed Worth in the past...and the way he thinks. A bit of "cowboy logic"...if you will. Somehow this whole thing does not surprise me too much. I think the young folks say something like "paying it forward". Whatever you call it...it is cool.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #36
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Worth,
A very nice gesture. It's nice to see how Tomatoville is a place of comfort and enjoyment for you.

Congrats ALittleSalt! For some reason I thought you were a female, don't ask me why. Now I'll think of you as Mr. ALittleSalt.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #37
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Enjoy your new collection Robert! Great idea Worth
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #38
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Worth, what a very nice thing you did for Robert. Robert, being a genuine gentleman such as yourself deserves to be rewarded. So happy for you both.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #39
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

That is so neat Worth! Congrats Salt! Now tell us what kinds of seed you are sending??
Old June 14, 2015   #40
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Outstanding generosity on your part Worth and I know how much Robert appreciates it.

But it also got me thinking about my tomato seed collection that goes back to the late 80's and quite frankly I don't really want to think about it.

5 100 place scintillation boxes with plastic screw cap scintillation vials with seeds, the boxes and vials liberated from where I was teaching at the time when they got a new scintillation counter.

I used the above until I ran out of boxes and vials in the early 90's and then switched to white invitation envelopes stored by year, alphabetically, in shoe boxes. I switched to regular small business envelopes when I ran out of empty shoe boxes and switched to other containers.

It's now 2015 and I can't tell you how many seeds I have, many many thousands to be sure since I've never thrown away one saved seed. Yes, as I'm packing seeds some will get brushed off the table and fall on the rug but I try hard not to spill diet pepsi on the rug lest they germinate.

Last Fall I called SSE and asked to have my SSE listings deleted since I no longer wanted to be a listed member, but since I'm still a long time Life Time member I get all the publications and e-mails from SSE.

I was asked if I would consider donating my tomato seed collection to SSE. Trust me, that isn't going to happen.

Sometimes I have to go through some of those old boxes/envelopes looking for specific varieties when asked, for varieties that are no longer what they should be. Tania and remy are two that have asked the most.

And when I'm going through the vials and envelopes for some varieties I can close my eyes and see where they were planted in my tomato field, even to which row.

So for me it's a wonderful trip down memory lane.

Carolyn
Old June 14, 2015   #41
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations Robert (AlittleSalt)!

Excellent choice Worth (Worth1)!!!

I agree with Carolyn’s above post that it shows outstanding generosity on Worth’s part and I believe that Robert will be a great caretaker of the seeds from Worth.

Carolyn, thank you for all you have done and continue to do, in preserving the ever expanding heritage of saving tomato seeds. You are truly a legend in your own time!!!!!

Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #42
charley
Tomatovillian™

Congrats salt .you got a big heart worth.love it
Old June 15, 2015   #43
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salt your package is in the mail and should arrive at you place this Wednesday.
I will send you a PM with the tracking number.
While there I picked up my mail and paid next years post office box fee.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #44
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

What a wonderful and generous thing for you to do Worth!! Robert..Alittlesalt ...is truly deserving of your gift.. Congrat's!

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #45
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank You Worth. I just sent you a long PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote