Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old August 15, 2008   #1
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Default Irish Cobbler

I was finally able to harvest my favourite spud- Irish Cobbler. We boiled some up and served them with butter and sea salt. Needless to say we were just blown away by the taste!
Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg irishcobbler:danshaku.JPG (181.5 KB, 30 views)
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2008   #2
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Jeff,

Very envious here, btw. Curious as to what makes Irish Cobbler your favorite. Is it the taste alone, or other factors such as productivity, etc.? When did you plant your seed potatoes? I'm wondering because it appears I may have started mine much later than some folks - towards the end of May.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2008   #3
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Hi omahaJB,
Here is a link to my story about Irish Cobbler potatoes:
http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=2810

Irish Cobbler is not a very productive variety, but the taste and texture is out of this world.
I chitted (if that is the correct word) in early May and planted out the third week. Irish Cobbler tends to be an early variety so perhaps that is why I am eating some right now.
What varieties are you growing this year? Lat year I grew a variety called All Red (from Eagle Creek). It was a good spud as well with red skin and pinkish red flesh.

Jeff
Old August 20, 2008   #4
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Jeff,

I read the thread you linked. Irish Cobbler has an interesting history to it, considering how much it was used in Japan for crossing. And the fact it's been around quite awhile.

This is my first year growing potatoes. I'm growing Carola, German Butterball & Princess La Ratte. Going from memory these I believe are 90-110 day varieties. If I harvest some toward the end of August I'll be at the 90 day mark, so will hold off until mid-September to harvest most of them. They were purchased from Ronnigers. I'm using 10-gallon grow bags. Not expecting a big yield but hope to get a decent harvest!

These will be my first homegrown potatoes, ever! Can't wait.

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2008   #5
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jeff,
I hope you can post again about what you thought of your first homegrown potatoes....I am sure it will be positive!

Jeff