Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old November 12, 2008   #16
cmpman1974
Tomatovillian™

If you need something a bit "hotter", this one will chew you up and spit you out. It's like eating pure lava. Hottest thing I've ever had in my life. Can I taste the flavor? Absolutely not, but it sure clears one's nostrils. lol.

Chris

cmpman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2008   #17
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

What a weird looking fruit that Trinidada Douglah is!
Old November 12, 2008   #18
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Where does TD hit on the Scoville Scale? I found out a few years ago that the little red and green berries were in the 50,000 to 100,000 category and were one of the three hottest in the world. My mind can't imagine anything hotter.

Of course, that was then. I guess people have figured out ways to crossbreed plants and come up with something more torturously painful.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2008   #19
oc tony
Tomatovillian™

According to the New Mexico state university the bhut jolokia averages 1,001,304 scoville units. Do a google search for it. It's a good read.
oc tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2008   #20
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Some peppers change with cooking....
I could see hotter or less hot happening. Hotter: cooking breaks down the cell walls, releasing more capsaicin. Less hot: cooking (high heat) degrades the capsaicin itself. Interesting bit of trivia: the capsaicin molecule is related, structurally, to the active ingredient in poisin ivy, urushiol. I wonder if poison ivy tastes hot to the tongue? Any volunteers?

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2008   #21
Woodchuck
Tomatovillian™

Trinidad Douglah!?

That looks evil!!!!

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."

LOL

~Woodchuck
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2008   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Years ago I had the neighbor pepper thief come by and steal some of my peppers.
( All in good fun as I had plenty to go around.)
He told me the next day they ruined supper.

Seems he put about 1/2 pint of Tabascos in with a # 10 skillet of food and cooked them.
Didn't kill the heat a bit.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2008   #23
Woodchuck
Tomatovillian™

This is very strange forum software, my electric went off and in the chaos I ended up with a duplicate post.
Is there a painless way to delete posts?

~Woodchuck

Last edited by Woodchuck; November 19, 2008 at 12:29 AM.
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2008   #24
cmpman1974
Tomatovillian™

There is no official SHU rating as it's very, very rare and just discovered this year from a friend residing in Trinidad. Subjectively, I'd give it well over 1,000,000 SHU. It is definitely hotter IMO than the Bhut Jolokia. It's got more placental tissue and just outright painful.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Where does TD hit on the Scoville Scale? I found out a few years ago that the little red and green berries were in the 50,000 to 100,000 category and were one of the three hottest in the world. My mind can't imagine anything hotter.

Of course, that was then. I guess people have figured out ways to crossbreed plants and come up with something more torturously painful.
cmpman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2008   #25
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Woodchuck, evil looking. Should be called devil's t*rd or t*rd from hell.
Old January 7, 2009   #26
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Can you hot pepper people really taste these hot things???
Yep sure can. Well, for the most part. When they start getting over 100k-150k on the Scolville scale it can be tough. But, for peppers below that level of heat yep sure can. For example, I know that I can tell the difference between a Ring of Fire, Tabasco, and Bulgarian Carrot blind folded.

As worth eluded to you get used to the heat and the more you eat the more heat it takes.

A lot of the heat comes from the membrane and seeds. If you just eat the flesh it isn't as hot and you get more of an idea of the taste of the pepper itself. However, doing that would result in the Pepper Pack calling you sissy pants.

Speaking of the Pepper Peck, we use and recommend milk as the cooling agent. When we have our pepper tasting events we drink milk in between the various peppers or we'd have to wait like 20 minutes. We are tasting based on heat and taste so we have to be able to appreciate the subtleties which is tough to do when your mouth is on fire.

Good luck,
Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2009   #27
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

What Worth1 said is all too true! My wife and I love Thai food and get it ordered HOT...occasionally THAI HOT. We cry and hurt all the way through some of the dishes (mint beef salad especially), but the endorphins or something like them kick in and we just can't stop!!! It's a bit masochistic I suppose, but something that hurts that good can't be all bad!
Old January 18, 2009   #28
gardenfrog
Tomatovillian™

I grew Bhut Jolokia for the first time last growing season. They live up to their reputation!!! One bhut will heat up an entire pot of chile. I'd like to try a few of the Trinidad Douglah seeds. By-the-way, the picture of the douglah pepper looks like a brown version of my bhuts! Another Jeff : )
gardenfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2009   #29
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Consider making some small batches of hot pepper jelly to learn the essences of different peppers - wear gloves & be judicious in how much seed/white membrane to include - when starting out, less is more!
Friends & neighbors have their druthers on which they prefer - jalapeno (red or green - both mellow almost too fast so I recommend leaving all membrane & 3/4 seeds), serrano (same as jalapeno), cayenne (makes awesome jelly! Leave about 1/3 - 1/2 of the seeds) & orange habanero (I am chintzy with these seeds as they seem to have staying power). Our fav from last summer is peach/habanero/cayenne jam - threw in the cayennes to provide a visual warning that the orange habs did not & we prefer the combo to either separately.
This summer adding choc hab, bulgarian carrot, that yellow pepper from Africa & good old fish peppers to the usuals.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote