Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old April 17, 2008   #1
Rosco
Tomatovillian™

Default Saving seed from Maori potato's

For the most part this is directed towards Tom but others may be interested.
Here in NZ we have a few varieties of what are called for a better name Maori Potato's.
Spud's to us Kiwi's.
Most tend to be purple throughout with some having deep eyes and tending white as they approach the centre.
I kept a few fruits which the occassional one threw and would like to try growing them from seed.
As we can't exchange tubers due to quarantine restrictions perhaps we could try swapping save seed as we do Tomato's.
Maori Potato's are believed to have been bought to NZ by the Maori from Hawaiiki.
If Itried this perhaps I could exchange seeds of these fruit with the long finger types we don't have here or some of the blue varieties.
First however I would really like to know how Tom and some other enthusiasts collect the seed.
I've looked at some articles but would really like the advice of you real pro's on such things as when to remove the berries and how to extract and store viable seed.
I'd also be interested in what its storage life would be.
Once given that info and you think it worthwhile I'll make a concerted effort to aquire as many of these heirlooms as possible.
Cheers.
Rosco
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2008   #2
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Rosco, are these kumaras? I have 2 varieties from NZ: Toka Toka Gold and Owairaka Red. These came to Ken Allan via NZ government breeders some years ago. They are considered traditional sweet potatoes, but I'm wondering what the species differences between them and the Maori ones are.

Suggestion: you could try to import tubers through the gov channels; then you both benefit and bypass the extra paperwork and costs.

Jennifer
Old April 18, 2008   #3
Rosco
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jennifer,
No they are not Kumera which are sweet potato.
These are ordinary ( if I dare call them that ) potato's which were grown by the early Maori and Moriori.
One of the names which comes to mind is Urenika but as soon as I get a chance I'll find some photo's of.
If you try a google search you should come up with plenty of hit's as they are becoming popular again over here.
I've also been sent a link to Tom's site ( Thank you ) as he may be too busy to look in here as often as before.
I doubt our Quarantine people will let tubers in but will approach them next week and ask anyway.
Cheers.
Rosco
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2008   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Maori Potato?

According to one web site (see below) these potatoes were introduced to the Maori people before 1840? Anyway, please read this link first.
http://www.fndc.govt.nz/misc/SoilCli...ripotatoes.pdf

A purple potato is turning unproductive Maori-owned land into a money spinner.

Ricky Houghton, head of a Far North Maori trust, can't stop grinning at the impact the knobbly purple potato has had on the fortunes of his clients. (continues below)..

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/location/s...ectid=10376555

Maori potato, Solanum tuberosum var. urenika

Lovely language continues at this site: http://whogetswhat.blogspot.com/2005...rosum-var.html

And
http://www.koanga.org.nz/pages/solonaceae.html

Maybe you can bid on an offer to buy some Unrenikas here
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living...-149067079.htm

more photos here: http://www.syrup.net.nz/syrupblog/?p=26

Anyway, this all sounds so interesting. If I ever get organized to do more seed exchanges, I would find it nice to do a TPS exchange. International import and export laws scare me to death, however.

More later.

Tom Wagner

DSCN1663.jpg This is a tray of potato seedlings before the first transplanting. I have over 1200 plants potted up from this tray alone. 72 crosses and OP's in this group.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2008   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

So after reading that first PDF (I saw no reason to read the others), I can only guess that like most potato varieties, True Potato Seed (TPS) will produce wildly unpredictable results and could take many years of selection to find ones that produce desireable potatoes.

As Tom has posted in other threads, to use true potato seeds, they must be harvested from a ripe berry and processed with Tri Sodium Phosphate to remove growth inhibitors.

I'm still looking forward to a straightforward 2 page overview from seed to harvest on TPS. No sign of one yet.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2008   #6
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

Hi Rosco,

Where are you ? We are heading to Kiwi land next month! How is your potato berries doing ?
Tomaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2008   #7
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

There`s a lot of misconcepions revolving around the origin of the so called Maori potato here in New Zealand.Tom is right the Maori did not bring spud to NZ as there migration was though Melanesia to the north west and that ment they had no have the access to the potato in those early years, it was only about then that the potato was just being taken out of South America.
Tom its not hard to send seed from US to NZ or NZ to US i`ve done it a few times even with VEGETABLE SEED on the envelope, its Australia that comes down hard on people sending seed in.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2008   #8
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

Wow, I like the seeds mailing info Medbury ... it gives hope .
Tomaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2008   #9
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

I think its important that write VEGTABLE SEED on front so you are not hiding anything.
Old June 2, 2009   #10
LenaBeanNZ
Tomatovillian™

I managed to buy seed (tubers) for
Urenika
Whero Whero
Kowiniwini
Raetihi
Te Ngae
Moemoe

A mixed bag from a grower in Rotorua. And I picked up some Pink Fur from Chantal. When do you start planting Richard?

Lena
LenaBeanNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2009   #11
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Good work finding that selection LB,you'll enjoy growing them as they are so different to conventional potatoes.
Moemoe is correctly spelt Moie-moie,its one of my faverites,great yields and very good flavour.
Kowiniwini is a long season potato,waxy with average flavour,i grow 10 plants per year of this one.
Urenika, i used to grow it years ago but soon dropped it from my collection as i didn't like fact that one end of the tubers is waxy and the other is floury,doesn't have a lot of flavour.
Whero whero,Raetihi and Te Ngae i have not grown before,but look forward to seeing how grow for you.

I start my early Moie-moie in my tunnel house in pots and plant out end of October.