Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 22, 2009   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default what's in bloom?

I stopped for a moment while I was working in my small garden and realized I have dozens of different plants in bloom (including some vegs). This garden is a few years old, and I'm always getting new plants and bulbs at plant exchanges, and planting seeds, so by the time something bursts into bloom it's often a surprise.

The most exciting ones to me this season are the native penstemons, the purple/magenta gladiolus, all the pink/magenta yarrows, and the self-seeded Clarkia purpureas, which reseeded themselves between a couple of peacock kales.

Magentas
Gladiolus, Lychnis coronaria, yarrow, Clarkia purpurea, dianthus

purples, pinks
Clarkia amoena (self-seeded, the stars of the garden this month), hollyhock (light pink), deep purple penstemon shrub, echinaceas (just starting), mini rose with pink-edged white flower, comfrey, 2 types of lavender

blues
3 species of gilia, borage

Whites
yarrow, hollyhock (yellow tinge), soap plant (flowers open after 6 pm), strawberries, blackberries, celery, 2 species of native buckwheats, scented geranium

yellows
yarrow, grindelia, kales, tomatoes, viola (yellow and purple, has been blooming nonstop since Feb.), aloes, hens & chicks (wtih orange)

oranges and red-oranges
nasturtium, 2 types of calendula, native penstemon (coral orange), calif. poppies, alstroemerias
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2009   #2
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

Blooming in my garden:
Tomatoes, radishes, lettuce, beans, peppers, cukes, watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries, phlox, portulaca, hydrangea, wild petunias, alliums, and that's about it. Most of the flowering show happens in spring with the azaleas and dogwood trees and doesn't last long.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2009   #3
Penny
Tomatovillian™

Mine are slowly getting there, we had such a wet and cool Spring, that things are now starting to bloom.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2009   #4
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Firecracker penstamen, moonshine yarrow, some of the lilies, moonflowers, and just beginning are the daylilies and purple coneflowers. Some larkspur and marigolds - guess I had more than I thought! Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote