Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old January 21, 2010   #1
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Default Growing area for potatoes

This question is for anyone, but I was hoping Tom Wagner would jump in. I want to start growing potatoes using Tom's TPS (will send money soon) and am finally deciding to get raised beds this year for the garden. I am doing 2 raised beds of 4x12 11" high for carrots, onions, greens, cauliflower, cabbage etc. and of course about 12" or more under the beds.

But I was going to order either a 3x3 or 4x4 area for just potatoes. What size would you recommend and what depth would be best? I was thinking 22". There are only 2 of us here so I don't need 100's of lbs of potatoes, but I wanted to try garden grown since I never have in the past and heard good things about fresh garden 'taters.

Duane
Old January 22, 2010   #2
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Hi Duane,Good on ya for wanting to have a go at growing some TPS,i think its more interesting and a lot of fun starting off potatoes from a seed rather than a tuber.
I think the depth you mentioned should be fine,but the size area that you are asking others for recommendations all depends on how much of a supply you & your wife need/want.
Got any idea??

Richard
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2010   #3
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Richard, thanks for the reply. I think I would like to have maybe 50lb's of 'taters? It's only me and the wife and a buddy of mine who helps out with the garden during the summer. I could go bigger.....haven't ordered the kits yet.....plan on doing that around Feb.1 since they have a 15 percent off early bird special plus free shipping.

Duane
Old January 22, 2010   #4
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Ok, so if each plant say on average produces 5lb (would others agree that would be an average??)that means you would need about 10 plants,4 plants per square meter,but i think you could get 6 into your 4x4,so maybe better to just have two of the 3x3's.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2010   #5
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

I am considering growing mine in poly bags like I saw in a YOUTUBE video, mostly to save gardening space. I am assuming that most I tried to grow under straw and manure would have been frozen and killed due to the lows around 14 that hit us for several nights and freezing temps that went on for several weeks in Atlanta. Many vegetables did just fine, but when I recently dug into one pile of straw I saw that the stems had been convereted to potato stem mush...a pitiful sight. The garlics did just fine.
At least the potato bags could be started in my Florida Room, by just using double layers of the tearproof trash bags, since I have not been able to find the really thick and heavy POLYBAGS like those seen in the English video clip. This would give an early start indoors, while being far less costly than 2X12 frames..and more versatile.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote