Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old March 31, 2010   #1
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn,

I know I rather generalized about the Hybrids.

But (Also many newer F-1s haven't been grown out to stability YET) by that I didn't mean the Hybrids themselves. I meant that those newer hybrids haven't been around long enough that they have been grown out to "OP stability". Sorry for not being clear about that.

I don't have time right now to read all the references you posted. But I will some evening.

I know it's a complicated issue.

The hybrids that I've grown out myself have largely seemed to grow the same as the parents. I know that doesn't mean they are identical to the original hybrid. But close enough for people looking for something the seed companies have discarded such as your Ramapo.

I have seeds for about 1/2 dozen varieties you can't get any more. I've grown many plants for those varieties as I have plenty of land available to me, 100+ acres. Are they EXACTLY like the original ? Maybe, maybe not. But they are varieties some people are still looking for but the seed companies don't want to bother with any more. That's where some of us "amature" growers fill a gap.

The Huskies, the original subject of this thread, are some varieties that seem to be on their way out if not already discontinued. There were 5 varieties at 1 time, but now it's hard to find more than 1 in any of the catalogs. I've grown several of them to F-4 and saw no difference so far. Perhaps I will in the next grow-out, maybe not.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote