Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 19, 2010   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Fungus?

Found this underneath one of my plants today. Yellow powdery substance covering something. I removed it with a spade and it came out in once piece. I have no idea where to even begin trying to figure out what it is

Old April 19, 2010   #2
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Maybe a product of the mulch and moisture. It kinda looks like it has blonde hair...stick a pin in it and see if anybody screams ;-)
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2010   #3
duajones
Tomatovillian™

It came up as one solid piece, the center was dark colored. I am wondering if it isnt some type of animal poop that the fungus grew on?
Old April 19, 2010   #4
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Step on it and track it across the rug...if it's animal poop your wife will let you know in her own special way ;-)
Old April 19, 2010   #5
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Seriously, animals have trouble digesting some things such as corn and it comes out whole in the fecies. That would give it something for a growth to live off of.
Old April 19, 2010   #6
kwselke
Tomatovillian™

It looks like a slime mold. It's common on hardwood mulch in Houston and is harmless. Google "slime mold" and you'll see some interesting forms.

Here's a link to a Houston garden radio show tip sheet on the stuff : http://www.ktrh.com/pages/gardenline...k_05-01-03.htm

Last edited by kwselke; April 19, 2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: add link
kwselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2010   #7
David Marek
Tomatovillian™

Dog vomit fungus!!! Indeed a slime mold. Many little fungi working together to make a neat looking reproductive structure. It should not be harmful to any plants.
David Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2010   #8
duajones
Tomatovillian™

It is good to know that it is possibly harmless. I dont need another setback of any kind, especially something weird like this. If it is animal involved, it would have to be a cat or possum or something like that. I have the perimeter of this bed protected by temporary plastic fencing to keep critters including a big lab that tramples stuff if I dont
Old April 20, 2010   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I had to go to electric fencing in desperation because my largest dog, all 93 pounds of him finds temporary fencing just that; TEMPORARY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duajones View Post
It is good to know that it is possibly harmless. I dont need another setback of any kind, especially something weird like this. If it is animal involved, it would have to be a cat or possum or something like that. I have the perimeter of this bed protected by temporary plastic fencing to keep critters including a big lab that tramples stuff if I dont
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2010   #10
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Serpentine slime mold it is. A mulch fungus called serpentine slime mold, which frequently develops on shredded hardwood mulch. A lot of people describe it as looking like "dog vomit."

This slime mold is a naturally occurring organism because it feeds on decomposing bark on downed trees and other organic matter.

It's not harmful to plants, just an unpleasant looking glob. It eventually dries into a mass-like powder. Resist the urge to blast it with water or yank it away because it will release thousands of fungal spores into the air. Those spores will settle somewhere and potentially develop.

Instead, you can turn the mulch over so you don't have to look at it. Do so carefully.

Or, scoop the fungus with a pitchfork or shovel, put it in a plastic bag and discard in your trashcan for disposal. There is no good reason to use any chemical fungicide on the organism. In reality, these organisms are good because they break down stuff in a healthy way, sort of like earthworms. When weather conditions are right, the fungus will stop growing.