Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old May 3, 2010   #1
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Default How should I mulch?

I have a space approx. 6 ft x 10 ft for potatoes. It will be over crowded with plants, and the soil is a bit heavy so I plan on mulching instead of hilling. I am going to surround the whole bed with low rabbit fencing to hold in the mulch and mainly use dry leaves, but looking at my inventory I see that I also have quite a bit of thin twiggy brush, grass clippings and even some green winter rye that will be cut whole stalk, like hay.

I was thinking of using the brush to keep the leaves from compacting either by:

1) Putting down brush on the bare dirt and leaves over top, or

2) Thin layer of leaves, then brush, then more leaves.

or some combination with grass clippings

3) Grass clippings on the soil for a bit of nutrient release as they decay.

4) Grass clippings over top of the leaves to keep out light/hold in moisture (might compact the leaves though)?

5) Some use for the winter rye?

6) Should I line the fencing with plastic? or newspaper? I have quite a few empty white potting mix bags, or I could use black trashbags.

Any recommendations?
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010   #2
easttx_hippie
Tomatovillian™

Default mulching taters

I'm using sections of barrels instead of fencing but I'm using leaves, hay, grass clippings, etc. instead of soil. The hay has been sitting in the weather for over a year and is starting to break down. The leaves get chopped with the lawn mower and raked into a pile to break down into compost. The grass clippings usually end up with the leaves after drying. I just grab some of the hay, mix in a bunch of leaves/grass clippings and then pile it around the tater plants until only the tops are showing. Then I sprinkle on some finished compost. I manage to get plenty of good clean taters by just sticking my hand into the pile and pulling out what I need or dumping the barrel sections on their side and raking out taters. What's left is usually pretty good compost.
easttx_hippie is offline   Reply With Quote