Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old June 23, 2009   #16
Mjdtexan
Tomatovillian™

I planted some about 10 seeds each of Azoychka #3680 (yellow, 70 days, indeterminate ) and Gold Nugget #6076 (yellow, 60 days, determinate). I am starting to see some of them pop up. I planted them in little trays. I've never seen a tomato that wasnt supposed to be red when it finished.
Old June 23, 2009   #17
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

MJD, wait until you start growing the striped and bicolor tomatoes, sweet and fruity. Oh, and a good black has a rich taste. Tomatoes are such a diverse crop!
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2009   #18
fredwes
Tomatovillian™

Before this winter I had never ordered seed and had grown only a few OP's. In March I guess tomato madness bit me and I joined SSE, and ordered from Pinetree, Victory, and TGS. Also had seeds from an exchange, and some packs from racks at Lowes - in all over 70 varieties. All were germinated in 72 cell trays, three seeds of each variety, with the same starter mix, same conditions. Most varieties germinated at an avg. of 90% - except for the seeds from TGS! The 14 varieties from TGS germinated at an average of 55% ! I resowed several of the varieties to get just one seedling, e.g. Neves Azorean Red - 1/6.
At about 3-4 weeks or so I dumped the ungerminated seed and mix into planted containers on the deck. Well, lo and behold I'm getting about 20+ seedlings popping up 30-50 days after the original sowing. I'm guessing these are some of the missing TGS seedlings with a smattering from the other vendors. The TGS rate of germination could also be around 90%, I have no way of telling, but why would it take these seeds so long to germinate?
Take into account that I'm new at this. There is still something that I could have done wrong although I can't think of what it was. Was the container mix a better medium?
(Have I avoided Worth's whip?)

Last edited by fredwes; June 23, 2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: add info
fredwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2009   #19
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I start seed in sterile seed starting mix. I moisten the soil and then dump it into seed starting trays.

I do pre-soak my seeds. I pour 2 cups of water into a measuring cup and soak a tea bag in the water for about 10 minutes. Then I arrange my seed packets with a small cup sitting on top of each one and put the seeds in the cups. This is so I don't get confused. Then I pour a little of the tea water into each seed cup. I let that sit for anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours.

I plant my tomato seeds extremely shallow. I drop the seeds on top of the soil and use a toothpick to nudge the seed under the starter mix.

Then I cover the tray with the clear plastic dome and wait. I don't water until everything starts coming up.

I generally get 90-95% germination.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2009   #20
Mjdtexan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
I start seed in sterile seed starting mix. I moisten the soil and then dump it into seed starting trays.

I do pre-soak my seeds. I pour 2 cups of water into a measuring cup and soak a tea bag in the water for about 10 minutes. Then I arrange my seed packets with a small cup sitting on top of each one and put the seeds in the cups. This is so I don't get confused. Then I pour a little of the tea water into each seed cup. I let that sit for anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours.

I plant my tomato seeds extremely shallow. I drop the seeds on top of the soil and use a toothpick to nudge the seed under the starter mix.

Then I cover the tray with the clear plastic dome and wait. I don't water until everything starts coming up.

I generally get 90-95% germination.

Why the tea bag?

All I did was put some potting soil in little six cell trays, added seeds, used a spray bottle to keep the potting mix damp and put them outside in the sun. So far, so good. Do I need to take them inside and not let them get sun all day or can I leave them out there to get full sun for a few weeks before I transplant?
Old June 23, 2009   #21
fredwes
Tomatovillian™

feldon,
Thanks very much for the starting tips. I'll hold onto this and try it next spring with the same seeds. Is the best germination in the dark? - and to quote mjdtexan, why the tea?
fredwes
Old June 24, 2009   #22
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I dunno why. And I hate to do things based on just wives tales. The presoak itself is well-founded though.

I start seeds indoors not necessarily "in the dark" but I don't provide them any supplemental light either. As soon as seeds start to germinate, I remove the clear plastic dome and place the tray 1 inch from fluorescent lights which are on 16 hours a day. Then when the seedlings are 6-8 weeks old, I harden them off for about 1 week and then plant them outside.

mjd,

The issue with regular potting soil is it can have bacterial or fungal diseases present which tomato seedlings are not able to fight off. This is called damping off.

If you are starting seeds outside (something I've never done), then the seedlings that come up would already be fully acclimated to sunlight and need no hardening off process.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old June 24, 2009   #23
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

TGS is da bomb!

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2009   #24
salix
Tomatovillian™

Feldon/Fred/mjd - just a thought, I believe the tea is a nice "gentle" source of nitrogen which is a help to germination...
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2009   #25
fredwes
Tomatovillian™

Thanks feldon. I started seeds very late, April 23 - May 1 , so I put them outside right away when possible. Needless to say I am way behind and plants are just now flowering. Next year I will begin April 1 and will use florescent lights, pre-soak, tea, dome on, etc. (and will hope for a warmer May and June - and less rain!)
fredwes
Old May 18, 2010   #26
DanishGardener
Tomatovillian™

I really want to buy some seeds from them, but the shipping cost is 12.00 USD for shipping outside North America!
Baker Creek (for example), charges only 3.00 USD

Even the shipping cost within the US seems more expensive than normal.

Does anyone know why?
DanishGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010   #27
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Maybe I can bring you an order next time I travel to the US and back.

Although I'm getting used to paying 2-3x what everything usually costs in the US. Copenhagen is expensive!

Old May 19, 2010   #28
DanishGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Maybe I can bring you an order next time I travel to the US and back.

Although I'm getting used to paying 2-3x what everything usually costs in the US. Copenhagen is expensive!
Are you from Copenhagen?
I thought Gunnar and I was the only danes in here, but I was wondering
what that location of yours meant

I wouldn't mind paying that much for the postage if it was a larger order, but when it's only maybe 5 varieties i think it's a bit too much.
DanishGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010   #29
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I'm in Copenhagen on-and-off for the rest of the year.

Old May 23, 2010   #30
brog
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Purple regular leaf and Cherokee Purple Potato leaf AKA Spudakee. some say pl is a healthier plant, they produce the same Great tomato. Bill