Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old May 24, 2010   #1
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default wave petunia

At the plant place(where I work) I purchased an absolutely beautiful dark purple wave - mostly because the fragrance was amazing - she perfumes a large section of the garden. Tonight I tranplanted to a very large clay pot - now how do I keep her blooming, etc. Will they ever produce seed? We have had other purple waves but none with the fragrance. I plan to put Osmacoat(?sp) on tomorrow night. Thanks - Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010   #2
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

I'm betting there's some of the old dark purple vining petunia that smells great in its genes.
You really don't need to do much of anything besides a little fertilizer and some water. My grandmother has always harped on about pinching petunia blooms off to keep them blooming, but I just let them go and I get blooms all summer.
I've had wave types that produced lots of seeds and some had none so it could go either way. When I did get ones that I got seed from, the resulting offspring were not like the parent so you could be disappointed in the seedlings.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010   #3
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Thanks Remy. I have always purchased an old fashioned variety called Carpet True Blue - it is very fragrant but seedlings last year, while fragrant were all colors, etc. I know I keep the ones at work deadheaded - sells better, looks better. I have her near the bedroom window elavated on very large commercial tin cans. Now of course the ac is running - we from 58 a week ago to 92 w/ last Friday and it hasn't stopped. Very high humidity. piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote