Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 14, 2010   #1
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Default Transplanting tomatoes with blossoms?

I should have known better; but I started some saved seed in one-gallon pots to see what they would do; and they have done WAY better than expected. Now I have these beautiful two/three foot plants that have just blossomed. Rather than lose them; I want to transplant them into ten-gallon containers. Can this be done successfully even though they are blossoming? Are there any steps I should take to reduce the risk of transplant sock? Or should I just 'pop them out' and go for it? (Using all the care one would normally use during transplanting...)
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010   #2
ruet
Tomatovillian™

A few of mine had 1 open blossom when I transplanted them along with quite a few closed ones. They've really exploded since then, though they certainly weren't 2-3ft tall, maybe not even 1 foot. They were in a container about a pint and a half in size. Looking good today, will take pictures tomorrow.
ruet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010   #3
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I just put out a stupice and a siberia that were about 15 inches tall with a lot of buds. I hope they take off. Ground is very cold. (Was white with hail yesterday). Some times we just have to go for it. I think its better than leaving them in the pot.
Kenny
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010   #4
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i used to pluck off blossoms on plants i put out but not anymore. those are tomatoes and i want them asap. i have not seen any advantage to taking them off, the plants grow just as fast and big and i have tomatoes a little earlier.

i think the problem is can you transplant a plant that's 2-3' tall? mine are 17-20" when put out. i have no idea if such a large plant can be transplanted but i suspect they can because i have seen plants of that size being sold at greenhouses.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010   #5
Earl
Tomatovillian™

If it was me I'd leave the flowers alone and plant them as is, in a larger pot or a hole. You will probably need to give them support of some kind.
Old May 16, 2010   #6
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
i used to pluck off blossoms on plants i put out but not anymore. those are tomatoes and i want them asap. i have not seen any advantage to taking them off, the plants grow just as fast and big and i have tomatoes a little earlier.

i think the problem is can you transplant a plant that's 2-3' tall? mine are 17-20" when put out. i have no idea if such a large plant can be transplanted but i suspect they can because i have seen plants of that size being sold at greenhouses.
I use containers...I don't plant anything in the ground, as I want that little 'head start' you mention...no fresh salsa for several months gives me the shakes.

In any event; I transplanted a 3' tall Amish Paste with blossoms and several tiny 'maters from one-gallon pot into its much larger 'forever home' today, with no sign of any problem...so far.
Old May 16, 2010   #7
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloken View Post
I just put out a stupice and a siberia that were about 15 inches tall with a lot of buds. I hope they take off. Ground is very cold. (Was white with hail yesterday). Some times we just have to go for it. I think its better than leaving them in the pot.
Kenny
Several of my stupice plants have small tomatoes on them already...they will get the 'transplant' treatment into larger pots over the next few days...appreciate everyone's advice!
Old May 30, 2010   #8
Materhead
Tomatovillian™

I made the mistake of using 3-gal. containers and while my plants have grown big (48-52") I'm getting blossom end rot and smaller fruit than I was hoping for.

I've also used some Tomato-Tone by Espoma to see if it can provide additional calcium and magnesium to thwart the BER.

Now I'm thinking that I just don't have enough depth and soil. Maybe the roots are "cooking" in the FL sun as well?

Would it shock these larger plants (Big Beef) to move them into 5-gallon buckets? Or do I need even larger containers for B-B's?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mac
Materhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010   #9
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

I've only been at this for a few years, so I am still a novice...however; I have successfully transplanted many of the tomatoes cited above from their one-gallon plastic pots to MUCH LARGER 10-gallon Smart Pots; and they are ALL chugging along just fine...didn't lose any tomatoes, so I don't believe shock is even a big issue; so long as you are careful. (Mine just slid right out of their one-gallon containers...) 3-gallon are pretty small...good for smaller types of tomato plants; some cherries and such. Sun in Florida is probably frying the root system of your plants if they are in plastic or any style of heat-retaining containers...that is why I went with Smart Pots and Earth Boxes...
Old June 2, 2010   #10
dice
Tomatovillian™

I mix a couple of handfuls of gypsum into my container mix
(per container), so I know that the calcium is there, it is
simply a matter of keeping the soil sufficiently hydrated
so that the plant can take it up.