Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old February 10, 2010   #1
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

Default how do you recognize a ripe Rangpur lime?

Any Californians out there? I have a seedling Rangpur lime (sour mandarin) which is fruiting heavily for the first time, and I want to make sure I pick the fruit at the proper stage. (I have read that flavor declines if the fruit hangs on the tree too long, but I don't want to pick prematurely either.)

What should I look for as evidence of ripeness?

Thanks - Robin

Last edited by gardenpaws_VA; February 10, 2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: typo
gardenpaws_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2010   #2
Glenn 50
Tomatovillian™

Was thinking about planting a Rangpur although I don't quite know if it is too acidic to be pleasurable. What do you think of it Robin?
http://users.kymp.net/citruspages/limes.html
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2010   #3
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

I've mostly used it for marmalade, for which it is excellent. My cousin, whose tree is the parent of the one I have, used to use it as a replacement for Persian lime in cocktails etc. It's definitely not something to eat plain, and it does have a bitter edge as well as the sourness (which is why it does so well as marmalade). The site you reference specifically recommends it for marmalade, but also notes that it is added sometimes to (sweet) mandarin juice, which is fine with me, since mandarins/tangerines have juice which is almost too sweet.
gardenpaws_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2010   #4
Glenn 50
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I have calamondins etc for marmalade and will have to think about it. Almost certain that I won't as the only type I can get locally is the Kusaie which the Gardencentre is calling a lemon and I somehow think it may knock my socks off.
We can grow almost all citrus easily in my part of NZ but I like to track down the hardy ones which unfortunately are almost unknown down here.
Cheers.
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote