Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 28, 2010   #1
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Default Looking for Workshop Suggestions: Container Tomatoes

A wee bit of background …… recently moved from house with yard to apartment with no gardening area ….. checked out nearby community garden waiting list and added information on my interest in growing tomatoes, especially in 5 gallon containers.

So, pending decision at their month end meeting, the thought is they would invite me aboard as point person for growing tomatoes in containers. I would be expected to provide workshops to garden members as required, perhaps monthly basis.

My request: I advised the coordinator I had never done workshops before but would be happy to share my knowledge of methods from my 20 years experience. I also suggested a good start would be ‘what tomatoes to plant’ but unfortunately we are a little late for this particular focus.

Yesterday I started some Mano, Indian Sripe, Sylvan Gaume and Grub’s Mystery Green to use as demo plants. 5 gallon buckets have already been generously donated.

My thoughts on where to start:
  • Brief overview of my tomato growing experiences
  • Importance of soil mix -my personal favourite consists of peat, leaf mould, compost, manure, perilite and potting mix mixed to a nice light fluffy consistency ; need to ensure pots have been well cleaned (they can order soil, but not sure where leafmould would come from?)
  • Location, location, location – this is still under discussion with the garden members – I did suggest adjacent the garden fencing to provide a built in trellis – the coordinator’s initial thoughts are for a large circle of pots with companion plants planted in front
  • Progression of plants to final transplant into containers – I understand most will have already started their seedlings, but I will have those noted above for use as well (my thought here is a concern re staking, depending on variety they choose and location –which I why it would have been good to have an introductory workshop on same)
  • Fertilizer/amendments to add to potted plants – I usually use a small scoop of tomato food – but not sure how organic this garden is. Also I was fortunate at my previous garden to make use of eave overhangs which kept my pots somewhat protected from the elements – so out in the open will be a new experience for me
  • Methods for supporting tomatoes – again I was hoping for smaller varieties to avoid complicated systems – small tomato cages would be perfect for Mano. I also used thin flexible bamboo – usually three stakes right in the pots for taller plants – required little if any tie-ins
  • As problems with grow out arise – respond to the best of my knowledge (not my strong point )
  • Harvest – and maybe a wee tomato tasting??
  • Seed saving, recommended seed sources and tomato sites on web worth visiting J
Anyhoo, I realize workshops require much more work than this – and my vision is to make this hands on – at this point I don’t even know where workshops will be held – I expect the garden as there is no building on site??

Any thoughts, comments, suggests most appreciated …….

Here’s a link to my blog - not extensive - but a start

http://pnwtomatoes.blogspot.com/

Thank you!!

Last edited by PNW_D; March 31, 2010 at 09:19 AM.
PNW_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2010   #2
salix
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations on your new venture (and new garden space!) It seems you have already thought things through quite thoroughly- just to ensure that the containers have been thoroughly cleaned AND have good drainage holes drilled (in the event buckets are being used). Do you have any kelp available as an amendment? Something I have found useful in helping to stabilize pots is to use a large stake, bamboo or rebar, right through one of the drainage holes into the ground (obviously doesn't work on a concrete patio...) and the smaller cages can also be fastened to it. Maybe a brief overview on the local predominant fungal/foliage diseases and the action to take (will depend again on the "organicness" of the garden.

Good luck and good growing.
P.S. Are you sure it's too late for seed starting? Have just sown mine, and our season is MUCH shorter. Some varieties that have done well in pots up here: Pipo, 42 days, Elfin, Russian Cherry, Sophie's Choice, Grub's Mystery Green (larger pots). Can send you seeds of these if you'd like.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2010   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

D:

Patio King and Kootenai are great container plants as well as New Big Dwarf. For fert, if they are organic, compost tea or organicare products-both pellets and liquids are good. Also Bio-Bizz line is a good organic liquid feed. I am growing some new dwarves in the greenhouse that Andrey sent me, I have a thread on it posted. At least two or three of those would be good 5 gallon container plants-I have mine in 5 gallon black nursery pots, one plant to a pot. One of the varieties needs no staking and is getting good fruit set, another has a small cage and has great fruit set. If you need seed for next year, let me know.
Old March 30, 2010   #4
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Thank you both for your additional thoughts ......

Salix, thank you for your seed offer, I have grown 42 days, Sophie's Choice and Grub's Mystery Green from those you list - Grub's is the best
Anyhoo I'm good for seed for this round. Have tried 'seaweed' in the past as we are near the water, but I found the earthworms shyed away from it the one year I added it to my compost bin?? Do like the liquid kelp though.

Michael, the 5 gallon nursery containers are what we will be using. I'll check out the Bio-Bizz - hopefully available in Canada?? NBD was a good one for taste and size but I just didn't get the production and a lot of catfacing I recall - the one I'm really interested is Utyonok - maybe next year - depending on how the season progresses

All for now .....

Last edited by PNW_D; April 26, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
PNW_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2010   #5
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

D

Bio-bizz should be available-its a Dutch company. NBD does catface some, but it tastes good. I am growing Utlyonok this summer-if all goes well, I should have some seed to pass on to you. Let me know.
Old March 30, 2010   #6
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Ah ha! Now I see what you meant in another thread re growing indoors in pots.

A variety I would add to your list is Spiridonovskie. I grew a couple of these last year in 3 or 4 gal. pots and they gave just tons of small fruit.

This will be a great adventure for you. I'm sure your knowledge will be appreciated.

Good luck!

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2010   #7
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Bringing this one back to the top for an update .......

happy so far, considering the cold wet weather we've had up til a few days ago
http://pnwtomatoes.blogspot.com/
Old June 26, 2010   #8
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Hi Denise,
I enjoyed your blog and liked the yellow tomato grown indoors. I planted all 3 varieties of the Galina x Grub seeds that you have sent me the last couple of years, #1, #2 and #5. The plants are big this year and I have high hopes for a very good harvest.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2010   #9
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Hi Sue!

Good news re your grow out of Ray's crosses ........I look forward to your updates ........

Here's a pic of my F2 from #5 last year - prolific as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GxGMGPlantone 010rs.jpg (336.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg GxGMGsliced 008rs.jpg (299.7 KB, 20 views)
Old July 9, 2010   #10
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Me too ... me too! I'm growing three selections from my own saved seeds from last year, including the green-when-ripe.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote