Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 20, 2010   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default Help

I planted my fall transplants last week in some swc's. I used Ray's mix of 3:2:1 of potting mix, pine bark fines, and perlite. Plants are turning yellow from the bottom up. Have not seen any wilt, so I assume the mix is still plenty moist, and it feels moist when I put my finger in it. So, are they getting too much water, too hot or what? Any ideas? I sure hope they don't all die.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2010   #2
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Did you mix in sufficient nutrients? Without a picture, sorta hard to be sure what's causing it.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2010   #3
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmah! View Post
Did you mix in sufficient nutrients? Without a picture, sorta hard to be sure what's causing it.
I agree with Timmah.......pictures are everything. Too much water is just as bad as not enough water >>>>>>>>>>Talon
Old July 21, 2010   #4
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Creister - I'll assume that you watered in the combo mix well, as suggested in Rays directions. If so, did you wait at least 2 or 3 days from then until planting your transplants? The watering in process he recommends to get the wicking process working results in everything being too wet to plant in for a few days, per Ray. I put out my transplants on Monday of this week having removed the spring plantings and spraying the cages with bleach water (to kill disease that might be lingering). So far, I have a little leaf curl in some plants, but mostly, everthing is chugging along. The quick yellowing you describe sounds like it could be too much moisture. If so, I'd be that within a day or two, the moisture content will level off. Just a guess. Good luck.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2010   #5
creister
Tomatovillian™

Dewayne,

You are correct. I am pretty sure it is just too wet, as some of the plants are starting to look like they might come out of it. I will make sure I wait a bit longer before putting transplants in next year.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote