Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 22, 2010   #16
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

any way you could provide a little shade for your plants? Can't hurt, might help. piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2010   #17
bohica
Tomatovillian™

Thanks berryman, like I said, cant remember where I found it, but it is worth sharing.
bohica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2010   #18
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

I've had the same issue with a few of my container plants this year -- mainly withthe black tomatoes. The tips of some on one side of a branch begin to turn brown and then it crisps up. Starts from the bottom of the plant and works its way up. I'm really wanting to solve this... i have a beautiful Cherokee Purple plant that's loaded with tomatoes that's one of the ones affected. Also same symptoms on Black. My instinct says it's the temps. Even though I'm getting more sun this year than in years past (because of necessity to take down a big shade tree at the back of the property), I'm getting tops 7 hours of mainly afternoon sun.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2010   #19
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fert1 View Post
I probably could do that. I just wonder if there would be much point this late in the season.
When is your first frost date?

You've got plenty of time...and cuttings tend to grow and produce faster than seed grown plants.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2010   #20
tam91
Tomatovillian™

That sounds kind of similar to what is happening to one of my Nyagous - I am growing in containers. I have a thread with pictures over in the Common Garden Diseases and Pests forum if you want to see if my photos look like yours.

Weird - all my other tomatoes are fine - the Nyagous next to the affected one is just fine.

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue what it is. Hope we figure it out - I love the blacks most of all.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote