Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 28, 2006   #1
travis
Tomatovillian™

Default Juane Flammee "Multiflora"

Does this qualify as "multiflora," or is this typical of Juanne Flammee? I've never grown this variety before.

Here is a different point of view ... you can see about 16 green tomatoes, nine blossoms yet to set, and that one double tomato in the upper right corner of the brace just in front of the stake ... and I knocked two little greenies off moving things around to take the pictures ...

Here is what I thought may be a more typical truss of Juanne Flammee:

Your opinions and experience welcome ...

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2006   #2
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Your 3rd picture is more like what I saw last year growing
this variety.

But considering how tasty it is, if the plant in your first
two pix ripens that many on a single truss, you'll be loving it!

Lee
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2006   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

PV, more often than not, each season and early on, I get a truss or two that sets like shown in your first/second pic -- but more typically the trusses look like your third pic.

Enjoy; JF has always been quite prolific for me. It's also a real taste treat, epecially if allowed to ripen to a deep orange on the exterior. Kinda like tomato sweet-tarts.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2006   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... boy, Suze, I caint wait

PV
Old June 29, 2006   #5
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

there seems to be a lot of multiflora varieties about this year, of varieties that are not normaly multiflora.

Perhaps its been a very good year for truss size and flowers because of ideal light levels and conditions in theearly spring.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2006   #6
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I've noticed that too. Several varieites I'm growing this year have these huge flower clusters this year, especially the clusters formed early on in the season. I counted something like 25 blooms in the first flower clustered on my Azoychka plant. Sadly, it only set 3 tomatoes from all those blooms.
Old June 29, 2006   #7
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctomato
I call the difference single flower truss and branched flower truss. I have noticed some segregation for it. However ...

Temperature during early flower formation will also effect how many flowers will form and how it branches.

Certainly the weather this year has it's effects but as people are learning and sharing I think people are also starting to look closer at things they might not have paid as much attention to before.
Keith,

Yes, I think I'm paying a lot closer attention to little details ...
moreso than before and due to forums like this.

Yes, it's obvious that this "multiflora" cluster is a fused grouping of 3 otherwise normal flower clusters such as the one pictured in the third photo.

And maybe it was the temperature that caused it, but I don't keep temp. and light records and cannot remember what it was like the week this trident truss popped out ... or are you saying that maybe it was the temperature when the genes set for the future blossom cluster.

Anyway, I only have one J-Flam here at home. I do have one out at the country garden and one over at a friend's house, so I'll check them out for comparison.

Lastly ... you say, "I have noticed some segregation for it." What do I do here? Save the seeds from this truss and grow how many out next year for some chance of seeing it again?

PV
Old June 29, 2006   #8
geol
Tomatovillian™

Papa Vic,
I would be happy to help you grow out the next generation if you save some seed. This would be a nice trait to try to stabilize, as my Jaunne Flammee has only shown 8-12 blossoms per truss.
geol is offline   Reply With Quote