Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 12, 2010   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Container Insulation

I wanted to get oipinions here about ways to insulate containers. With such a hot dry summer in most parts of the country I figured a lot of folks would either have a good system devised, or had just abandoned the garden for the year.

I've seen roll styrofoam insulation (Ami D) wrapped around the container, and I also saw cut plywood and cut styrofoam sheets that were placed around the container, or sometimes just on the sunny side, to shield it from heat. I've also heard of people double potting their plants, putting a block in the bottom of the first container and setting the container with the soil on top, which creates a little gap all around for air circulation, and/or to add sand or something similar for insulatation purposes.

I'm planning to plant some rooted cuttings in containers to see how that works for a fall crop. Any experience and/or suggestions will be appreciated.

Don
Old August 12, 2010   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Don,

Something even cheaper and easier to use - cut a bamboo curtain in half, and wrap it around the container. This will shade most of the sun exposure, and is easy to take off at the end of the season. HD or Lowes carry cheap stuff you can use.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2010   #3
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Ray I really hope you and Mel Bartholomew will team up soon so the rest of us ordnairy gardeners will have a super team of square foot and container grown gardening experts. The two top minds in the world for that. I was thinking about a name, something like...The Dynamic Duo of Gardening. Or maybe MelRay gardening instructions.

That's a good idea about the bamboo. I notice how nice your set up is there at your house and wondered if you ever thought of putting up some nice looking sun blocker down the row on the sunny side. Like a short and solid redwood fence. I imagine even painted lattice work would like nice too.

Onward container people.

DS
PS I'm miss seeing your garden update pictures. Post some more!
Old August 12, 2010   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Don,

I could shade the sunny side of the 'Tainers, but one of the trials I am running is to see how darn long the Rubbermaids will last in the direct sunlight, as so many people have asked me that question. So, "Taking another one for the Team", as the expression goes, to see how many years I get before they crack.

Raybo
Old August 13, 2010   #5
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

I have noticed that a few totes that I bought three years ago have already dried up and started cracking. In fact I had to change a couple out mid season. I think some sort of fence, blocker, sheild or whatever you want to call them is really a good idea for both preserving the containers and blocking any direct sun which can cook roots fast as I have learned. I've been having fun this year designing a swc that is made out of a sturdy plastic gardening pot that has a double wall with foam insulation in between the walls which has really helped with keeping the pot from heating up too much. Check it out!

Damon

sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2010   #6
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

That's a great idea sprtsguy. Are you referring to the material they sometimes spray on roofs to keep them cool? Is that cold seal?

Ami D in the "General Discussion" showed a picture of his containers and he had flexible roll styrofoam wrapped around them. I found some today at Lowe's. I've already potted up some plants and I got to enjoy the first big benefit of growing in containers. I was able to pot up the seedlings into 25 gallons Totes under a shade tree. The plants will get filtered sunlight, but can avoid the harsh intensity of the sun. I'll add the insulation and as soon as I can find a soil thermometer I can do some test. Maybe Raybo can steer me on to a good one.

Thanks for the reply.

DS
Old August 13, 2010   #7
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Don,

I just grab Dear Wife's oven thermometer (when she isn't looking) and use that to check the soil temperature. Of course, I try to wipe it off a bit before putting it back in her cupboard.....

Raybo
Old August 17, 2010   #8
Wulfe
Tomatovillian™

What's your longest living earthtainer so far, Ray?
Wulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2010   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Wulfe,

So far after 3 Seasons, none of the Rubbermaids have shown any cracks. The only deterioration noted has been expectedly, on the top rims, as they are the thinnest material of the entire tote, and they take the direct downward rays of the Sun all day.

That is why I suggest in the Construction Guide to SAVE the second top rim and squirrel it way, as it will come in handy as a replacement come Season #4.

Raybo
Old August 17, 2010   #10
Wulfe
Tomatovillian™

I am keeping mine.. but was actually going to use them as poor man's mini quick and dirty raised beds.
Wulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2010   #11
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

At Rays suggestion (in another string here on tville) I bought bamboo shades at Lowes and doubled them placing them so that they block all direct sun from about 1 p.m. on. Prior to doing this, the containers were hot to the touch and the plants were under tremendous stress from what I think was roots cooking in the heat. Caused me all kinds of BER problems and general plant stress. I was also forced to be on concrete, so I used two by fours to raise the tainers off of the hot surface and allow air to circulate under the tainers. Oh and I used shade cloth. Between those efforts (and using a calcium supplement in the watering tube), the BER stopped and production was excellent.

Tis a vague memory now as I try to get fall maters to grow on day 18 of 100 degrees plus in row. They are barely hanging in and I'm trying every way I know to baby these plants because they are stressing badly in our annual August beatdown! My hope is that come November, I'll use that direct sun to keep the soils warm when nights are cold and have tomatoes on our Thanksgiving table. We'll see!
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote