Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old July 2, 2010   #1
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default first potatoes

Dug my first potatoes of the season. For some reason, potatoes have never done well for me but last year I managed a small, decent crop and tonight I dug a volunteer - yielded 5 golf ball sized potatoes. Then I decided to try a short row (3 plants!) good sized potatoes, 3 good sized w/ 2-3 golf ball sized per hill. They are in an ackward place and I need the space. Decided to fry up one of the bigger ones - overly 'browned' but still just excellent. After not growing for several years, last year I decided one more chance. This gives me hope the main bed could be really good. piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2010   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Yum-home-grown potatoes! Glad you had better luck this time. I really think it's good to learn what varieties do well in your area and keep trying-they're so worth it. They really like leaf mulch. We dug up our early potatoes today (Red Norland) to make room to put in some pepper plants that didn't seem too happy in their containers. It was a great harvest and will keep us potato happy for months.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2010   #3
OkieJason
Tomatovillian™

You guys make me hungry for spuds!
OkieJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2010   #4
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Today I dug out some early yukon gold potatoes. I got a three 2 in diameter from one plant and three long 2 in by 1 in from another, I also couldn't resist to dig some blue potatoes but they are just 1 in so only took 3 small ones. They were so good.
Old July 6, 2010   #5
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

July 1 we had small Yukon Golds with the first batch of green beans and beets on the side. I had to have a hamburger with mine being a carnivore. Yesterday we had fried zucchini and BBQ'ed chicken and potato salad (made from the Yukons). My wife had scallions. I don't eat those nasty things or any relative of that plant. I did try one just to reinforce my dislike.

The garden is beginning to produce. Ripe tomatoes are a ways off yet here.
Old August 24, 2010   #6
Talonstorm
Tomatovillian™

I grew potatoes in containers this year, 7 containers total. I harvested the first container late last week (the vines were dead). I had planted 5 "sprouts" from a couple all blue potatoes. Yield was a little more than 6.5 pounds of potatoes. I am happy with that, I expected failure. This is my first time growing potatoes. The all blues seem more purple than blue to me though:

Talonstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2010   #7
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Look good Talonstorm,but you are right, the name has no refection on the colour of the spud itself.

Thats a beautiful dog in your avatar
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2010   #8
Talonstorm
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, that is my bernese mountain dog, Henry. He is a good boy, but a little too much of a clumsy oaf to be a garden helper, lol. I also found out today that he will eat raw potatoes if left within his reach.

Here is the rest of my harvest (before Henry ate a few):

My dad says not to wash them because they will keep better if you just let them dry and brush the dirt off with your hands. Is there any truth to this? I just rinsed the first batch of blue potatoes, didn't use a brush or anything.

Thanks!

PS - these are all blue, katahdin, and German butterball potatoes.
Talonstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2010   #9
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Ok , i know some people not far from who have bernese mountain dogs and get over $1000 each pup which is about US$700.
Could you slice an all blue open so i can see the inside colours
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote