Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 21, 2010   #1
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Default SW container tomatoes tasting bland bland bland :0p

So far my Aunt Gertie's Gold and Cherokee Purples are tasting like the big red grocery store toms in the middle of winter. :0p

I've actually been worried about this because the medium looks wet all the time and like most informed growers I hold back on the watering when my toms are in the soil.

I'm thinking about just watering from the top from now on and letting the soil get a little dryer- would this work?

My concern too is that this would possibly kill the roots hanging down into the water reservoir. Would this significantly injure the plant?

I am growing in the self watering containers for tomatoes by Gardeners Supply.

Thank you SO MUCH in advance- I didn't get toms last year due to disease and would really, really like nice ones this year!!!! :0). I've even tried farmer's markets, but so far they've all tasted overwatered and bland- you can tell they're producing for quantity, not quality. Also it's been so hot and dry I think people are watering everyday. :0p. Thanks again!!!!
Old August 21, 2010   #2
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Ps - I used the gardeners supply container soil, and their organic tomato ferts and/or TomatoTone, and lime.
Old August 21, 2010   #3
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Oh bummer, I'm sorry - sounds so disappointing. I don't know the answers - I've never used a self-watering container. But, my tomatoes are in containers - mix of topsoil, composted horse manure, and peat. I water pretty much every day, in the morning, and the soil is usually dry the next morning (it's been so hot). My tomatoes have tasted fine.

I hope you get it figured out, and get some great ones.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2010   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Heather, I'm growing plants in 3 SWC's I bought here in Germany. I took out the water fill tube, drilled a hole 1" from the bottom of the unit on the side to lower the reservoir water level and water from the top. No problems and I have had roots grow down into the reservoir when I tore the unit down at the end of the season. I don't use the plastic mulch on top either. Ami
Old August 24, 2010   #5
dice
Tomatovillian™

I had a container mix in SWCs that held water extremely well
last year. I had mixed results:

Cherokee Purple: a little bland
Cherokee Chocolate: not bland
Spudakee: maybe a little bland (no point of reference)
JD's Special C-Tex: same as Spudakee
Azoychka x Shannons's F1: not bland
Black and Brown Boar: not bland
Persimmon: not bland

I used Tomato Tone, a little lime, gypsum, greensand,
various fixups during the season (Fertall chelated iron,
molasses, etc).

I think Ray's idea of mixing in more larger structured
materials and perlite into bagged container mix is a good
idea. I was amazed that he did not getter better results
using cactus mix in his Earthtainers. It seems like that
would be about the right water-holding capacity for a
tomato plant in a self-watering container without
mixing it with other materials. (Might be hard to find
in big bags, though. Buying a pallet of little bags of
cactus mix to get enough for one's SWCs would be
impractical.)

Last edited by dice; August 24, 2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: sp
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2010   #6
Wulfe
Tomatovillian™

Your mix might definately be too wet. I'm by no means an SWC expert but my taste tests so far this year have been very good with the exception of a couple of early fruits which were a bit bland (though some earlies on the same plants had great taste).
Wulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2010   #7
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys.

I don't have the the top of the dirt covered, and was planning to start watering from above a la Ami.

Well, we got and inch of rain in two days, on the third day we got 1+, then on the forth day we got 2.5 inches. LOL! Next year I think I'm going to make something to cover them if I need to!

Anyway, my seasons almost over so it's a learning experience for next year. :0)

On the upside- just a few days of watering from the top has helped a little, and the tomatoes do seem to have a lot more flavor if I cook them down.

Thanks again!
Old September 6, 2010   #8
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Heather, I use the same container mix and virtually the same ferts for my SWCs. However, my tomatoes were absolutely delicious - not bland at all. I do think that the plants would benefit from covering them with a plastic mulch. I say that because I saw this year that the ones that were covered lasted longer - I had more diseases in the ones that were not covered. I watered them constantly through the terrible heat; most of the time via the reservoirs. My Cherokee Purples in particular were scrumptious.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote