Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old September 29, 2010   #1
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

Default Flowers for "inviting" pollinating / beneficial insects in the tropics

Been thinking about planting flowering plants for increasing pollination and overall vegetable garden health.

I live in the suburbs of Metro Manila. And i am new to gardening. What are good low maintenance, easy to grow flowering plants that are best suited in my climate?

Sunflowers and marigolds have been suggested to me by pinakbet, a fellow member here. Any more suggestions for me to grow?

Thank you.
franzb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2010   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I don't know what your common plants are, but in general, the best plants for pollinators have tiny flowers. Some pollinators and most of the beneficials are tiny, so the smaller the flower, the greater diversity of insects. Plants from the daisy family (with the tiny disk flowers in the center of the "flower", or with compound flowers such as yarrow) and the parsley/carrot family attract lots of beneficials. In addition, native plants are the best choice for attracting native insects.

In my garden, I plant lots of native yarrow, buckwheats (Eriogonum spp.), and globe gilia for the beneficials, as well as nonnative echinacea. As much as possible, I let parsley and fennel go to seed.

Other ways to attract beneficials are to provide year-round sources of food (easier in warmer climates!), keep the mulch undisturbed, and never use leaf blowers or poisons. I've also been putting out bowls of water for birds and have tried providing a butterfly watering place (moist sand), but it's hard to keep up.

One of the experts on bees at UC-Berkeley, Gordon Frankie,
http://nature.berkeley.edu/urbanbeegardens/
has a website that tells you which species of bees visited which flowers, and which flowers attracted the most individuals and the most species.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2010   #3
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

thank you for posting that link and your tips. already got parsley and fennel. guess i'll plant them around my peppers too.

i'll look into some buckwheat, but those things also attract pests afaik.
Old September 30, 2010   #4
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
...i'll look into some buckwheat, but those things also attract pests afaik.
The buckwheats I grow are California natives, Eriogonum spp., not the edible buckwheat, Fagopyrum. Native plants (plants that are native to your area) are usually the best choices for attracting a wide range of beneficial insects.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2010   #5
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The buckwheats I grow are California natives, Eriogonum spp., not the edible buckwheat, Fagopyrum. Native plants (plants that are native to your area) are usually the best choices for attracting a wide range of beneficial insects.
will check the local flora here.
Old October 1, 2010   #6
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

sampaguita, gumamela and ylang-ylang would all three be good I would think and should be easy for you to locate plants or seeds also probably not native but herbs like lavender attract lots of pollinators as well.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2010   #7
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepheninky View Post
sampaguita, gumamela and ylang-ylang would all three be good I would think and should be easy for you to locate plants or seeds also probably not native but herbs like lavender attract lots of pollinators as well.
Wow I'm surprised you know those flowers Stephen. yes you are right. they do grow well here easily.
pinakbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2010   #8
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinakbet View Post
Wow I'm surprised you know those flowers Stephen. yes you are right. they do grow well here easily.
LOL you would be surprised at all the stuff I know, Joking.

but if I remember right
sampaguita is grow by lots and is a small very fragrant white flower, gumamela is similar or same as what we call a hibiscus and ylang-ylang is small kinda greenish white flower.

I was in the US Navy in my younger days. Though I will admit I did google it to refresh my memory and to spell it right. I do speak some Japanese and Thai but no Tagalog.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2010   #9
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

When your fennel and parsley bloom then you will see
different kinds of beneficials bugs. I have the non-bulbing
fennel that comes up every year. I find that the herb
flowers like oregano, sage, fennel, parsely etc..attacts
the most beneficials in my garden.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2010   #10
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

already got sampaguita here, but i never see any bees flying around it. and it's so darn invasive i wouldn't wanna move it close to my plants. our sampaguita here is 10 feet tall and 10 feet across. =D

got a gumamela bush close to my peppers and tomatoes already. guess i'll just start taking care of it too. lol.

thank you everyone for the tips. i'll just plant my fennel and parsley into the ground when they're large enough to plant. =D