Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 29, 2006   #1
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default snow white - color when ripening

before I forget - noticed my snow whites turning - they look pretty gold, still green at top - almost like green grape. I bought two plants from two different vendors at the local farmers market. I thought the ones I tried were pretty light colored - lighter than Dr. C. Thoughts? Thank you in advance - piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

The color of almost all the so called whites is about the same when ripening, as in a greenish white turning to ivory then turning to various shades of yellow depending on the UV exposure and degree of foliage covor and indeed which specific variety is being talked about.

But I've never had a white variety turn gold as you mention.
Old June 30, 2006   #3
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

thank you Carolyn - I am always so honored when you respond to one of my posts! Judging by tonite's color, I am guessing it is NOT a snow white - it is, in fact, quite orange, very whispy foliage like green grape. Pretty fair set of fruits. I can only hope the other plant I purchased from a different vendor didn't use the same seed source, although its foliage is rather whispy. Are there orange cherry tomatoes??? Thank you - piegirl
Old July 1, 2006   #4
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

My Snow Whites from last year turned very yellow. We have very hot summers, so maybe that had something to do with the color as Carolyn mentioned. They were the best cherry I have ever tasted but I have only grown a few.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by piegirl
. Are there orange cherry tomatoes???
Yes there are.

They aren't common, if talking OP varities, and I doubt that many vendors would be selling plants, but yes, there are a few orange cherry tomato varieties.
Old July 1, 2006   #6
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

I grew Snow White last year and one plant was nice smaller white cherry and the other plant was larger cherry that was yellow but not golden. Both came from same seed package from good company.
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2006   #7
Bryan24
Tomatovillian™

This year ours are a lovely ivory-yellowish color. The taste seems to be milder than last year, too. Not quite as citrusy. My sister commented that they tasted like a very mild tomatillo. Not quite sure where she got that, but she did like them. I tend to pick and eat a little under-ripe, because I like a more tart tomato. Well, that, and if I don't, I think the dog gets them before I do.

laurel-tx
Bryan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2006   #8
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I did taste one tonite - quite tart although could have alittle underipe. Since its been over 100 for 3days and in the upper 90's for days, environment could differently be a factor. Definitely dark gold/orange. Piegirl
Old July 7, 2006   #9
Bryan24
Tomatovillian™

Dark gold/orange??

Don't suppose they could have fouled up and given you a Sungold, do you??

Just a thought......

laurel-tx
Bryan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2006   #10
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

HiLaurel - that could be possibility. I need to check with a neighbor who purchased a plant the same day. I had one ripening on the table and just ate it - this one was sweet, quite good, definitely orange. The plant is rather wispy but really growing as is the other plant - different vendor and so far, no color change yet. Piegirl