Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old December 3, 2010   #16
wordwiz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinTinTin View Post
If any viewers would like a 3rd Edition copy, it is available here:
Link removed
From the link your provided:
The right and license to all publications, images and copy contained within are
reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, copied, sold or presented
to or for anyone other than the purchasing agent granted specific license at
time of purchase. Contact author at address below for licensing content.

OK, I'll type this real slow so those of you who do not understand what I am trying to say can read it at their own speed and perhaps comprehend it.

People write books to either make money or tell a story they feel people want to hear about. In both cases, they tend to invest time, talent and treasury in the endeavor. If they want their musings to be read by multitudes, they are not going to stick a copyright statement in it.

If you wish to disrespect the authors and post links to sites where their work can be downloaded without compensation, go to it. I'm not the Internet Police, I'm just another worthless dipstick who understands that providing a valuable resource and asking for compensation for it is the American Way - or at least use to be.

YMMV,

Mike
wordwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2010   #17
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordwiz View Post
OK, I'll type this real slow so those of you who do not understand what I am trying to say can read it at their own speed and perhaps comprehend it.
I see no need to post snide remarks like the one above. You've stated your opinion on the topic, repeatedly. The links have been removed.

I will assume any further comment on this as a deliberate yank on my chain, capisce?

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2010   #18
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

I do understand owner's rights, and do respect them. With the digital world, many 'original works' get spread quickly, both legally, and illegally. It is often not easy to tell the difference, but when a legitimate business is posting 'content', I tend to believe that they're doing it within the letter (and intent) of the law. This is not always the case unfortunately. I hope that any/all of the links posted here were within the law. Maybe the Google link should also be removed, as they have already been taken to court for having 160,000 published links to illegal materials. (Those links were to their own sites.)
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2010   #19
imp
Tomatovillian™

Wordwiz, if you take this to the far end of the law, libraries should not be lending copies, nor anyone share a book they bought with another person.

I suppose, taking it at the exact wording, means that I may not buy it as a gift to another, either.

Copyrights are important, but so is common sense.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2010   #20
wordwiz
Tomatovillian™

Imp,

Not true. There are millions of stories and articles that are copyrighted. Look at a newspaper or magazine. Copyrighted means it may not be reproduced without permission.

Mike
wordwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2010   #21
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
From the link your provided:
The right and license to all publications, images and copy contained within are
reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, copied, sold or presented
to or for anyone other than the purchasing agent
granted specific license at
time of purchase. Contact author at address below for licensing content.

People write books to either make money or tell a story they feel people want to hear about. In both cases, they tend to invest time, talent and treasury in the endeavor. If they want their musings to be read by multitudes, they are not going to stick a copyright statement in it.

If you wish to disrespect the authors and post links to sites where their work can be downloaded without compensation, go to it. I'm not the Internet Police, I'm just another worthless dipstick who understands that providing a valuable resource and asking for compensation for it is the American Way - or at least use to be.

YMMV,

Mike

Mike,

Read the underlined in your own quote.

One presents a gift to another.

One sells used books.

I did state "to the extreme", yes?

One of the reasons that words and being specific is so very important when dealing with legal things- no one enforces the extreme view on a gift of a book or re-selling it (though some publishing houses about 8 years or so ago rumbled and grumbled at the re-sale of current books), but it is indeed there.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2010   #22
Mischka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
I will assume any further comment on this as a deliberate yank on my chain, capisce?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordwiz
Imp,

Not true. There are millions of stories and articles that are copyrighted. Look at a newspaper or magazine. Copyrighted means it may not be reproduced without permission.

Mike

Incredible.

can keep my spirit

Old December 10, 2010   #23
maf
Tomatovillian™

Mischka, did you get any feedback from the honey site that hosted the ebook? I downloaded it before the link was removed, thinking it was a legit freebie, and skim read most of it. To be honest it is not a book of high enough quality that I would like to pay for a retail copy, but it is worth keeping for reference material (if it is legitimate). Not sure at this time if I should just delete it from my system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinTinTin
Maybe the Google link should also be removed
To any other readers who are interested, the google preview version linked to earlier by RinTinTin is totally legal but is not the full version of the book. Seems to be over half of it though, so plenty of info to form an opinion. How are book previews limited? from Google Books.

P.S. I don't think wordwiz should be criticisized for coming back into this thread when he only did so after someone engaged him in direct conversation. (Just my 2c worth, no offence intended etc.)
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2010   #24
Mischka

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf View Post
Mischka, did you get any feedback from the honey site that hosted the ebook?
Unfortunately, not yet. No reply from the author's site, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf View Post
P.S. I don't think wordwiz should be criticisized for coming back into this thread when he only did so after someone engaged him in direct conversation. (Just my 2c worth, no offence intended etc.)
None taken.

Most often, it's not what one says, but rather how one says it that will get them into hot water here. Getting one's point across can and should be done without being at the expense of others.

When an individual demonstrates an inability to practice civility in a thread, I see no need for them to participate further in the discussion.

can keep my spirit

Old December 10, 2010   #25
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I emailed the author and have yet to receive a reply. Ami
Old December 10, 2010   #26
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
RTT and Suze,

If you look at the link you (RTT) provided, at the bottom of each page it plainly states copyrighted material. Copyrighted means it cannot be reproduced (posted on the net) without the author's permission. The Bee site that has the link does not have a disclaimer that it is posted with permission. Also, the Google Books version does not seem to contain the step by step method to build a system that the pdf version does. The author chose to display some pages of the book, probably to entice people to buy it.

I don't have a horse in this race. I have the book (it's great, but to me not worth as much as Lighting Up Profits), I don't own stock in the publishing company and certainly do not know the author. The only reason for my bringing this up was to let the site administrators know the book is still under copyright protection.

Mike

In no way, shape or form do I think Ami was, as you stated, trying to post something wrong or intending to hurt anyone.
Google Books AFAIK always uses the practice of displaying only some of the content, as a way of showing people the qualities of the work without displaying the work in its entirety. I always assumed that was done with the explicit permission of the author.
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2011   #27
akeimou

thanks for the tip, Ami. found the book in our library. looks promising.

i think another must read is the Tomatoville book. is there such a thing, maybe in the works? such a wealth of information in this site that would be even more awesome if presented in something like a book format. but i can imagine that organizing and editing will be a nightmare.

--meg