Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 24, 2011   #16
MJACTIVIST
Tomatovillian™

Nice Dice. I also use Fert-All Calcium. Growmore is the Co. that actually makes Fert-All and they are also avalible at- http://www.plantsthatproduce.com
L8
MJ
MJACTIVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2011   #17
dice
Tomatovillian™

So they do:
http://www.plantsthatproduce.com/pro...d_Calcium.html

(A gallon lasts awhile when one is only using it a tablespoon or
two at a time for BER first aid.)
Old March 2, 2011   #18
Aphid
Tomatovillian™

I have eliminated my blossom end rot..my first few tomatos do always get it but it's gone in no time !

I am not scientific but here is what made a difference for me .It's not science but it has worked the last 3 years

I used a "fast lime" pellets/granules from lowes.. it's sold in the lawn center.
I put my lime down 2 months before planting.. I heard that it takes up to 2 monyhs for the lime to activate into soil. I scratch it in and leave the plot alone
Is it true? ...I do not know

when planting 2 months later ...I put epsom salts(magnesium) into my planting hole along with espoma garden-tone fertiliser

again... I "heard" that it takes magnesium for the plant to intake the calcium.
I read too many things that say this is right ..or this is wrong..I don't know but it has worked !

I water my plants as evenly as possible ...If I can't decide if the plats need water ..I don't ..I keep things on the "dry" side...let them work for their water.

no blossom end rot for the last 3 years ..except for the first few tomatos.

It works for me ..in my soil...in my climate..

the big difference for me has been adding lime way in advance.. I don't know if the epsom salt helps or not .. but it work so I continue.
Aphid is offline   Reply With Quote