Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 18, 2011   #1
susanlynne48
Tomatovillian™

Default Keeping Black Grow Bags Cooler in Summer

I purchased several grow bags that are black plastic. This before I found out about Sun Leaves with the white exterior.

Anyway, is there a good way to keep these bags cooler so the roots of my tomato plants don't cook in the summer heat?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks,

Susan
susanlynne48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #2
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Straw mulch...burlap wrapped around them and kept damp...shade cloth...
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #3
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

Susan,

The goal is to shield the bag sides from the direct sun. An insulated shield that reflects light and heat is desired.

An example would be to put the grow bag in a Styrofoam cooler with the bottom cut out (for drainage). Not too attractive or durable. A light colored window box or plastic container with drainage may work for you depending on the size of your grow bag.

I shield some black plant containers with white plastic. I prefer to use a trash compactor bag because they are very sturdy. Make a white plastic skirt for your grow bags. Insert bubble wrap or reflectex or spacers between the bag and skirt if you prefer but allow ventilation. Small spring clips are convenient for clipping the shield to the lip of the grow bag.

Hope this helps,

Rick
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #4
susanlynne48
Tomatovillian™

Oh, yes, many good ideas and thank you so much!

Susan
Old February 19, 2011   #5
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanlynne48 View Post
Oh, yes, many good ideas and thank you so much!

Susan
You might could just cut the bottom off of a white draw string trash bag slide it over it and tighten the draw string up just enough to make a "skirt" for it. Though guess it depends on the size of the grow bags, but if it will fit around it should work and be cheap and easy.
Old February 19, 2011   #6
susanlynne48
Tomatovillian™

The grow bags I have are 7 and 10 gal. That's yet another great idea. After reading everyone's replies, I also wondered about clipping some aluminum foil around the bags that would reflect the light away from the grow bags. Does anyone think that would work, too?

Susan
Old February 19, 2011   #7
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanlynne48 View Post
The grow bags I have are 7 and 10 gal. That's yet another great idea. After reading everyone's replies, I also wondered about clipping some aluminum foil around the bags that would reflect the light away from the grow bags. Does anyone think that would work, too?

Susan
It might work but think it would still get pretty warm as it is metal, Along that line of thought though mylar or the emergency blankets (they are a 1.00 to 1.50 at the big box stores) would work as well.
Old March 3, 2011   #8
susanlynne48
Tomatovillian™

I have Mylar on my shopping list to use on my seed setups, too. Didn't find any at Walmart (temporarily out), but will check HD and Lowes. Thanks for the help!

Susan