Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 4, 2012   #1
harveyc
Tomatovillian™

Default Question of health effects of green tomatoes

I was telling a friend of how I decided to give some green tomatoes a try after some encouragement by members here who have welcome me in my introduction thread. I asked if he had grown any and he said he hadn't and that he had health concerns related to the consumption of green tomatoes. He sent me a link to this Cornell information which explains health problems related to glycoalkaloids present in green tomatoes: http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/...s/steroid.html

All I was able to find here at Tomatoville on the subject was http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=19476 which was mostly about the tomato leaves.

Has anyone seen anything about the changes in alkaloids in green tomatoes after they ripen (but stay green)?
harveyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Two different animals green when ripes is just that it isn't any different than a red when ripe tomato.
It is NOT a green tomato that hasn't become ripe.

I get this all of the time people dont know the difference or what they are talking about.
To put it bluntly your friend doesn't know what you or he is talking about.
Aggravating to say the least.

People have been eating fried green tomatoes for years with no ill effect.
These are the green not ripe tomatoes.
It is the fruit that is cooked not the leaves as you posted.

So go ahead and grow your green when ripe tomatoes.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012   #3
harveyc
Tomatovillian™

Worth, it's not just my friend. The Cornell study says "green tomatoes" but does not say if they were unripe or not. I'm asking if anyone has tested ripe green tomatoes.
Old January 4, 2012   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The study is talking about green unripe tomatoes and I dont know if even 10 percent of the total population of the world even knows about a green when ripe tomato.

I dont know if anyone has done a study on them.
But I would bet they are the same as any other red tomato.

Your friend sent you the link because they didn't understand what you were getting at.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyc View Post
Worth, it's not just my friend. The Cornell study says "green tomatoes" but does not say if they were unripe or not. I'm asking if anyone has tested ripe green tomatoes.
THe answer is yes. The alkaloid content of raw green tomatoes as opposed to fully ripe ones is known. And ripe ones means the green when ripe ones as well.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8738165_sol...-tomatoes.html

THe above link speaks to the issue and a general Google search turns up many links but I chose this one b'c it had some actual numbers as related to tomatine, the alkaloid in question.
Old January 4, 2012   #6
Hermitian
BANNED

There are two distinct sources of green tomato recipes: (1) those from immigrants who grew "green tomato varieties" in their homeland, and (2) growers who cooked their unripe tomatoes (still green) that did not ripen before the cold season. Then, through word-of-mouth there is a lot of confusion in-between.

Last edited by Hermitian; January 4, 2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: in
Hermitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
There are two distinct sources of green tomato recipes: (1) those from immigrants who grew "green tomato varieties" in their homeland, and (2) growers who cooked their unripe tomatoes (still green) that did not ripen before the cold season. Then, through word-of-mouth there is a lot of confusion in-between.
I don't know of any country, any immigrants, who grew all green tomatoes. And not green when ripes either. I do know that the Spanish and Italians certainly did grow tomatoes that were partially green at the top half, and have grown some as well and I Do know of usually some cherry tomatoes that were not picked green, but ripe, the plants pulled up and stored as "winter tomatoes". I'd have to look up the actual variety names for those b'c right now old age prevents me from remembering the names.
Old January 4, 2012   #8
harveyc
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies. The report at http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/bitstream/10...ND23309827.pdf linked in the ehow page gives some good useful information, with a couple of instances of qualifying "immature green tomatoes". Also, it associates tomatine levels with the taste of bitterness.
Old January 4, 2012   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

..."frying the green tomatoes in hot oil diminishes the solanine content, rendering the green tomato less toxic."

Hmmm, I wonder if cooking them down has the same effect (asks she who had toast with [unripe] green tomato jam right before finding this thread)? :-)
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012   #10
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Harveyc,
The only scientific proof I have is that if ripe green tomatoes were harmful, I would be dead by now, and I think Carolyn and others who love them would be too!
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
Harveyc,
The only scientific proof I have is that if ripe green tomatoes were harmful, I would be dead by now, and I think Carolyn and others who love them would be too!
Remy
So true Remy and this is a robot that's typing this post for I am in green when ripe tomato heaven.
Old January 4, 2012   #12
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Complete nonsense. We've been eating green tomatoes for generations in Georgia, and no one ever got sick. Sounds like too many researchers with too much time on their hands.

Let's worry about our real problems...early blight, for example.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2012   #13
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
So true Remy and this is a robot that's typing this post for I am in green when ripe tomato heaven.
I was just thinking that you always know at least something (and usually more than anyone) about just....well..... everything! So that explains it! A robot Carolyn! (I, of course, always thought so)

I must admit to being vastly relieved, since there is no way that one person could know about all of that stuff. Personally, I was beginning to feel a little stupid.

And there is a tomato heaven!?! Oh, Joy! I hope I make it there someday.

I certainly don't want to go to tomato hell. Although, I think I got pretty close last summer.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote