Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 20, 2006   #1
Sorellina
Tomatovillian™

Default The Pretties

Ciao all,

Here is what my dining table looked like on Aug. 10:

We've been temporarily banished to the family room for meals as you might imagine. I was up to my ears in canning yesterday, putting up a big batch of Grub's Mystery Green/Green Zebra pasta sauce, Azoychka/Manyel/Banana Legs pasta sauce, and Prue salsa. I'll be making a batch of Black From Tula/Black Krim/Purple Russian salsa tomorrow. The list goes on and on. We're eating BLTs and Caprese Salad pretty much every day. It's tomato heaven, people!

This was my harvest on Aug. 11:

Clockwise from top: Cherokee Purple, Brandywine Sudduth, Kotlas, Manyel, Bicolour Cherry, Jaune Flammee, Not Aunt Gertie's Gold Cherry (red oblate cherry), Snow White Cherry, Sungold F1, Banana Legs, Green Grape Ind?, Galina's, Not Galina's (red saladette), Orange Banana, Little Lucky, Moskvich, Kotlas, Yellow Brandywine Platfoot Strain.

Craig, note the heart shape on Little Lucky. It has persisted and I'm saving seeds from those fruits.
Old August 20, 2006   #2
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Looks like Toronto is a great place for tomatoes.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2006   #3
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful, Julianna! I must be a week or two behind you, but I think you planted out before me (?) Impressive harvest - (how many plants?), & you & your family will sure appreciate all that work a few months from now! (Unless, of course, you 'defect' to that Vancouver paradise - where you can grow tomatoes practically all year round!!!! :wink: )
Old August 20, 2006   #4
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Well, Keith, I must admit I took a holiday down East to Nova Scotia to watch the wedding ceremony of the two gay Mounties, then I came home, practiced some skeet shooting on those Albino Whistle Pigs,rode bareback on a polar bear or three, & then played a mean game of hockey. Oh yeah, and drank a 2-4 of Canadian ... just not enough hours in the day to tend to that 'mater patch! :wink:
Old August 21, 2006   #5
Sorellina
Tomatovillian™

LOL @ Kim & Keith! Nutbars, both of you!

Kim, I did my transplanting on 25 May, the Thursday after the frozen long weekend. Remember that? Sheesh, I thought we were going to get snow that weekend and I went to an early morning plant swap in Markham..brr. My transplants weren't the healthiest, due to some unfortunate male selective babysitting while I was in California earlier that month. I still have no blush at all on Earl's Faux Faux or Berkeley Tie Dye. The real Aunt Gertie's Gold only has 2 fruit on it and it's taking its time, but I did hear it does that, so these will be simply for seed.

You're right, though. If we manage to escape the tundra (and I'm REALLY praying hard for that), I'll ring up Tania for some tomato-growing advice. I already hinted that the boys may have to give up their corn, but the compensation is tons of berries. They're ok with the idea. That and real mountains with snow you can leave behind after a day of skiing.

Keith, you've got a 7 year old fan, by the way. He's got 3 F2's of an accidental cross between San Marzano and Yellow Pear and he's saving seeds of the one red ruffled oblate cherry he got from them (because he thinks oval reds are too common). Oh, and he wants to know if you cross a yellow cherry with a large ruffled yellow, will you get a ruffled yellow cherry? Right now it's tough to say whether he'll be a priest, a tomato geneticist, or a NASA engineer.

Cheers!
Old August 21, 2006   #6
landarc
Tomatovillian™

Julianna,
Looks like a wonderful harvest and some good eatin' coming down the pike.

what's a nutbar?

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2006   #7
Star
Tomatovillian™

very pretty :wink:
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2006   #8
Sorellina
Tomatovillian™

Ciao Keith,

The locules are the pockets where the seeds and gel are, correct? Something like Yellow Stuffer has quite a few locules but they're quite hollow, so I guess the difference between a juicy tomato and a hollow one would be the amount of gel the tomato produces and how do you select for that? So to get a juicy, ruffled, yellow cherry, you'd need to either do a 3 way cross of Yellow Stuffer, Galina's and then something juicy like Manyel or find a really juicy ruffled yellow tomato to do the large-fruited ruffled part of the cross with..is that close?

Hehe @ 'morals, mayhem, and money'..too true

Bob,

A nutbar is like what Americans just refer to as a 'nutty person'.
Old August 22, 2006   #9
Sorellina
Tomatovillian™

Ciao Keith,

Ok, that's good to know..I'm still working out how much "extra" space we'll need to do some crosses. They sound like the next step in the tomato-growing obsession and really a lot of fun.
Old August 22, 2006   #10
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Great looking spread ~
Looks like "good eats" !

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote