Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old May 1, 2010   #1
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Default Blue Potato seedling color?

I started some true seed from "blue potato" grown last year and a small proportion are growing up with the dark stem and leaf coloration I remember from last year's plant. Does that mean only those few plants will have blue tubers?
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010   #2
David Marek
Tomatovillian™

From the ID this spuds please thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
...It was shown in some Peruvian studies of landrace potatoes favored for years by the indigenous people, that even the diploid lines segregated for a cornucopia of skin colors within the seedling progenies.

What is neat about this phenomena is that even with diminishing lines of varieties grown by farmers in most countries, one can intercross the domestic lines and come up with a virtual history of the potatoes that occurred locally in the years and/or centuries before.

...Like I have reported somewhere else in the potato posts; sometimes the best intensity of flesh color is accomplished not be crossing blue to blue, but by crossing white to red flesh. Their is a synergism of stacking the disparate genes to effect the highest expression of blue flesh. Thus when that clone is taken to its OP progeny, the whites, the reds, the blues show up again and again.

Tom Wagner
Most of my Purple Valley TPS (from Tom- F2, I think) seedlings have dark stems, but I noticed when transplanting some have light cream colored minitubers. Prepare to be surprised.
David Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010   #3
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

PURPLE VALLEY,
USDA B 0850-4 x USDA B 0975-1
POTATO VALLEY CO. LTD. Korea
I tried to go back on my computer (laptop) but I don't have my old documents loaded for the pedigree of the B0850 and B0975 seedling families. I received many seedling tuber families and advanced experimental clones with similar numbers in the early 90's, nearly 20 years ago, but I remember B0967-11 and similar numbers having purple skin and many with yellowish flesh coming from varieties like Saturna and I suspect that All Blue or a synonymous named line was used about that time. I have not been getting any new material from the USDA for quite a few years now, therefore my pedigre info is getting buried in old paperwork, etc.
‘Purple Valley’ (purple skin and partially blue fresh), will throw lots of non purple (blue flesh) and less so than Bora Valley which is bluer. If the seed I sent out of the Purple Valley is truely OP...the chances of getting some good blues is fair......otherwise if it is crossed seed from an unknown pollen sources...I would guess less in the way of blues...read purple...in the progeny.

Most of the time....blue stems on potato seedlings mean blue potatoes, but not necessarily blue flesh...many will have white flesh....or a blue ring in white flesh. But just about any color combination could occur.

I have true breeding lines that carry each generation with nearly 100% blues but those are in the F-5 seed and beyond.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010   #4
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Ok, so I plant the blue ones and hope for blue, and plant the green ones and be surprised.
Old May 13, 2010   #5
phicks48
Tomatovillian™

what did you end up with? Paul
phicks48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010   #6
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

They are still in little cups. Getting this variability would be cool

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...t=white+purple

Based on stem coloration I think that some of my katahdin seeedlings my have bee cross pollinated by my blue.
Old January 28, 2013   #7
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone know what size of potato I can expect from the Purple Valley TPS?
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013   #8
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

The size of potato tuber you could expect from TPS of PURPLE VALLEY?

I would guess just about any size. PURPLE VALLEY is one of those Korean bred potatoes that does fairly well and I have had decent size tuber from the clone.

Seedlings of it will segregate for flesh color...from white to a slight ring or center of blue to nearly completely blue. That is if it has been selfed and the TPS I sent out may be selfed or outcrossed.

PURPLE VALLEY Smooth purple skin and partial purple fresh color, however if you look at this picture below....the color of skin is rather light...more of a violet, and the progeny will not throw a high percent of very blue tubers/flesh.

Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote