Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 1, 2006   #1
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Jack Frost finally hits Spudville in sw NM

Woke up this morning at 6am to find a frosted windshield and the thermometer at 28F. My remaining KBX plant hangs drooping with blackened leaves and green lemon sized fruit, "Jack Frost" won this one!!!

Outdoor mater growing here is done till 2007. Now the difficult choice, which 100 spudleafs to grow out next year?? Only 105 days until Feb. 15 and seed starting time Comeonnnnn Feb. 15!!!!!!

Spud
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2006   #2
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Spud ~

Happened to me last week ...
Was a sad sight to have to pull the remaining
plants ; trash the herbs I didn't get to ;
and salvage some of those late hot peppers ...

However I was able to expand the garden
3ft forward + 3ft wide which will
allow me to plant 6 more toms in 2007 ...
Next ? The pools going ~ :wink:
Now to pick out those 6 !!!

So how was your season ?
Was your weather as wacky as ours back east ?

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2006   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Spud, you beat me by one day. Had our first frost this morning. Always know when it a cold one when you wake up in the morning and look up and see nothing but stars. Be rippin out the remaining mater plants this weekend. Ami

Doin it in Germany
49.26'N
07.36'E
Elevation 400mtrs
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2006   #4
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Wouldnt ya jus know it....Murphy's Law if i ever seen it. Here i am , lulled into false confidence in the belief that our climate here has truly become warmer. I had 6 Buck's County plants comin along jus fine, gettin thick an bushy, an i left em out last night, thinkin 38 would be about it. We done already had 33 nights...twice, and last night seemed warmer than those. when i went to bed around 1 am , it still didnt seem no colder than about 45. Woke up this mornin...to a true...Killin...Frost.

Oh well, got time to still learn, what im curious about, jus gotta be more cognizant towards fast-movin weather fronts. Tonite...they sayin 27 F, i believe it...)))

This is provin to be the earliest cold fall, here in N. East Georgia, in the last 6 or more years. Should do wonders, for the Peach trees....Hickories, an pecans, tho...next year.

I guess now...i'm gonna start that Rutger's Select seed i been wonderin about, an re-start a BC. Still got time...w/a small greenhouse, to grow a tomato thru the winter.
Old November 4, 2006   #5
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Had our first killing frost here in SW KS on the 30th. Have the vegetation removed and the mulch tilled in. Hope to get the manure spread and vetch seeded this weekend. Was an odd year here but ended up with average production. More tomatoes on the vines I pulled up than ever. JD
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote