Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 9, 2006   #1
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Default Has Anyone Sent Me Debbie Seeds?

Debbie, a variety in my book, has been listed only at Sandhill as far as I know, and there are a few who say that what they got was not what they expected and yet I'm the source of Debbie to Glenn.

This past year I distributed seeds of Debbie, very old seeds from my own stock, with the hopes that one or more of those persons would return some fresh seeds to me.

I kind of remember that one or more said they got some seeds to germinate, but my memory is not clear on this.

And while two folks have returned fresh seeds of Mary Ann to me, another one from my book that I had no seeds left for, I simply cannot remember if anyone has sent back Debbie seeds. And if they did, where they might be in this house full of tomato seeds.

And if anyone has some spare fresh true Debbie seeds I would very much appreciate receiving some b'c someone who grew out some new varieties this year for me for seed production would like some, as would I.

Thanks.
Old November 9, 2006   #2
bluelytes
Tomatovillian™

CAROLYN,
I expect to be ordering that exact variety from SANDHILL in late DEC or so. DSIL name is "debbie", good brownie points, lol.

Anyway, if I get them and they grow, I would be happy to send some back to ya!!

Best Regards;
bluelytes
bluelytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

(Anyway, if I get them and they grow, I would be happy to send some back to ya!!)

Blue, any seeds you get from Sandhill will grow fine b'c Glenn sells no seeds that are over two years old. I don't know how he does it with about 400 varieties offered, but he does and I'm glad he does.

But that's not the point.

Above I said that some who had gotten Debbie from Sandhill did not feel that it was correct for the variety. Now I don't know if that's b'c the original seeds I sent him were crossed a bit or whatever.

And while I think I still have some VERY OLD seeds of Debbie here at home, it's those that I distributed to some folks in the past two years, and it's from those folks that I'm looking for fresh seeds back of TRUE Debbie. B/c when those seeds were sent to those folks each person knew that I expected fresh true seed back.

As I said in another thread here two days ago, I do NOT expect seed back from the more than 300 varieties I've distributed in the past. There are just a few exceptions, and Debbie and Mary Ann are two of them.

And then I can send to Glenn fresh true Debbie seeds for hom to grow out for seed production, since he does all of his own seed production and actually has an excellent record compared to many other places re true seed being sold. Perfect? heck no, no place seeling OP tomato seed can be perfect.
Old November 9, 2006   #4
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

In an older thread Nascarmike49 said he had
seed for "Debbie" from you here @ TVille ~

Not sure if he grew them out though ...
Could he be the missing link ?

~ Tom

ps.
also, if there are older seeds from
you floating around and you need
fresh stock (Fall 2007) ,
I can always add a Debbie plant for the "cause" ...
Sounds good ~
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote