Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 11, 2013   #16
bluehrs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
Those boxes are beautiful! Did you just use plain pine boards - say 1 x 8? and then paint or stain them?
Yes, plain 1 x 8 in pine I believe. Cabot brand stain on the outside, Thompson water seal on the inside just because I had a partial can to use up. I coat my "real" raised beds with a boiled linseed oil, charcoal combination so I can feel good about nothing toxic leaching into my soil, but these don't have soil in contact with the boards. Hopefully that also means they'll last a few years longer.

Brandon
www.squarefootgardener.com
bluehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2013   #17
bluehrs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksCountyGirl View Post
Wow, looking good. I see you have lots of the dwarf project releases in there. I hope you get a chance to report on your experiences with them. I am so looking forward to trying a few next year! Cheers!
I definitely will report back. I bought every dwarf variety I could find a couple years ago - now there are so many more I want to try. I do remember last year the Iditarod Reds were super prolific, and the Tasmanian Chocolates were high on the taste test.

Brandon
Old July 11, 2013   #18
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Lovely garden!!!

I've been plotting something like that,since we're in a gardening lull here.

Do you do any sub-irrigation? Seems like that would be tailor-made for a rain gutter system?

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with the dwarfs - I'm growing some heirloom, some new.

Tl
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2013   #19
bluehrs
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Never done any sub-irrigation. I've always toyed with the idea of rainwater storage, especially since our municipal water is so terrible here at over 500ppm.

Brandon