Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 2, 2013   #1
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Default found these at the grocery store- ID?

Hi there everyone! I'm just starting on the pepper journey. I've been searching for a few different peppers to grow and just buying fresh peppers for now. I've been buying peppers from our local grocery store, HEB. In the habanero bin, I've watched the peppers change over the past few weeks. At first the peppers looked like little bright orange bell peppers. Over the past week, I found these guys at two different times. The shape is totally different and they are more yellow. I'm thinking these aren't standard habaneros.

IMG_20130802_114742.jpg

The ones on the left are about 2 inches long, stem NOT included. They are more than twice as big as the orange habs I saw before. The ones on the right are also strange with that little tail.

Here are some up close shots of both types of peppers.

IMG_20130802_114827.jpg
IMG_20130802_114840.jpg

I don't know if you can ID peppers like this. However, if anyone can, I'll bet a Tomatovillian can! I appreciate any help.

Christy
checkerkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2013   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

My first thought was maybe a peach Habanero. I've just gotten into growing peppers myself, so don't take my word for it.

http://www.habaneromadness.com/types...l#.UfvzD235SM0

http://www.habaneromadness.com/types...l#.UfvzaG35SCm
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2013   #3
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
My first thought was maybe a peach Habanero. I've just gotten into growing peppers myself, so don't take my word for it.

http://www.habaneromadness.com/types...l#.UfvzD235SM0

http://www.habaneromadness.com/types...l#.UfvzaG35SCm
Maybe the right ones! They look very close. Thanks for the links!

I just cut them up for seeds and used the peppers for Jamaican gravy. My husband tried two pieces. He's eaten whole habs, seeds and all before, so I figured he could give me a taste/heat report. The first sliver was flesh only. He said there was no citrus flavor at all. It almost had a buttery flavor. It was also hotter than a hab. The second piece had flesh and membrane. Buttery flavor was there again. Heat level, at least 3 to 4 times hotter than the whole orange hab he ate before. It was so hot, his teeth and ear hurt. His stomach is now burning and his face is still red, about 20 minutes later. I caught some fumes as I rinsed the pepper in warm water. My throat is still scratchy. I guess I'll have to treat these guys with caution! Thank goodness for gloves.

Christy
checkerkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2013   #4
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Interesting you should bring this up, I've been talking to my son about these odd habaneros the past couple of months. I'm hoping to eventually market a hot sauce of my own so I pay attention to these things Yes, the size, shape, color and taste has really noticeably changed.

I've found that farm seed supply companies are now offering a lot of new habo hybrids. I'm guessing that's what we are seeing at the market. I'll be trying out some of these hybrids in next year's garden (is it Spring yet? lol)

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2013   #5
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I've found that store hot peppers vary so much from one pepper to the next that they are actually hard to use. The last handful of Jalapenos I got from wally world varied from no heat to as hot as a sorranto.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2013   #6
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
I've found that store hot peppers vary so much from one pepper to the next that they are actually hard to use. The last handful of Jalapenos I got from wally world varied from no heat to as hot as a sorranto.
If I need peppers I usually buy them from one of two local Mexican markets. The consistency and quality is much better than the supermarkets around here. I rarely find "corked" Jalapenos in the mainstream stores but can almost always find them at the mercado.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

-André Gide
Old August 4, 2013   #7
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I need to run down to the market and see what's available, since I'm really enjoying growing peppers!

Quick question, what makes the corked ones better? Do they have more flavor?
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2013   #8
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlintx View Post
I need to run down to the market and see what's available, since I'm really enjoying growing peppers!

Quick question, what makes the corked ones better? Do they have more flavor?
Corking reminds me of how Jalapenos used to be.

In my humble opinion they are tastier, and usually a bit spicier. You can usually rely on that, whereas today's hybrids have bred out the corks and unfortunately sometimes the flavor, you're not quite sure what you'll get with a perfectly smooth Jalapeno.

-John Muir

-André Gide