Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 20, 2006   #1
Althea
Tomatovillian™

Default Super Lakota 'Super Sioux" and Landis

Hi all,

I browsed most of the threads and didn't see either of these mentioned. Has anyone grown them? If so, what is your opinion?

Both are listed in my new Peaceful Valley catalog under Turtle Tree Biodynamic Seeds.
Old February 20, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Althea,

I'm not aware of a single known variety called Landis. I am aware of a Red Brandywine referred to as the Landis strain, but there are no strains of Red Brandywine.

TGS lists a Red Brandywine (Landis) and the Landis only indicates that their source of seeds was the Landis Museum in PA.

And the source of seeds to Steve Miller at that Landis Museum was Tom Hauch, who owns heirloomseeds. com who was the first to get Red Brandywine out of SSE and offer it commercially and he still considers it his "signature" variety, to use his word.

TGS lists three so called Red Brandywines, two together, one PL and one RL and neither one is true RB and that's why they went ahead and got the one from the Landis Museum, which is true RB.

But it is not a strain, as they write, for there are no strains of Red Brandywine.

Hope that helps.
Old February 20, 2006   #3
Althea
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn. That was helpful.

This is the description from the catalog which give the old name, if this helps i.d. it.

Tomato, Landis

"BD/OG Indet. plants with good yields of extra early perfectly round tennis ball sized fruit with superb sweet flavor. No cracking. Very hardy, as its old name of Landis Frost Resistant suggests. (75 days) Approx. 25 seeds."

http://www.groworganic.com/item_SNV9...atoLandis.html
Old February 20, 2006   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Althea, from that blurb it's clear that what they refer to is NOT the Red Brandywine (Landis) at all b'c they say the old name was Landis Frost Resitant, which I've never heard of and have never seen listed in the SSE Yearbooks, as far as I can remember, but I'll check it out via Google and see what I can find and get back to you.

The other two you've mentioned have been grown by a few and while you may not have seen them mentioned here, we've only been here for about two weeks now and they have been mentioned at GW and other places I post, but not by many.
Old February 20, 2006   #5
Althea
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn, I assumed your history of Landis was correct and that Turtle Tree has misnamed the variety. Thanks for looking into it further.

I've only seen the other variety listed at one other source, Eastern Native Seed Conservancy. Here's there description:

"Super Sioux An indeterminant medium sized plant with a high yield of good sized beefsteak-type fruits. Supposed to yield well under hot, dry conditions. Rare. The Eastern Native Seed Conservancy is working to ensure the future of this variety."

http://www.enscseeds.org/diversity/

Turtle Tree describes the same variety as:

"By far our best producer of large, early tomatoes. Outperformed all others in a cold, wet year. Thick walled, 6 to 8oz fleshy fruits. Excellent slicers, very juicy. Old-fashioned flavor. (75 days) Approx. 25 seeds."

It sounds like a good variety for me, short season and tolerant of heat and cold.

I'm interested in trying both of these mostly because they are short season.

I have a phobia of GW Tomato forum and most of the other big, fast moving forums there like roses, which is why I asked here.

Old February 20, 2006   #6
clay199
Tomatovillian™

Althea,
Super Sioux worked well for me here in BC. Another that did was Russian Red which I obtained from Glenn Parker in NZ. Smaller golf ball sized fruits on a compact plant, about a gallon and a half of tomatoes yielded per plant.

I PMed you.

regards, Clay
clay199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2006   #7
Althea
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Clay. I'm going to try both the Super Lakota and the Super Sioux. I was thinking it was only one variety.
Old February 20, 2006   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Althea, I think you are correct that the Turtle place has renamed something b'c I can find no reference via Google or otherwise for a Landis Frost Resistant, and if it's Red Brandywine (Landis) it sure as heck isn't frost resistant. Not good re the Turtle place in my mind, as in beware.

Super Sioux seed is sold at many places. Just do a Google search and you'll find them.
Old February 20, 2006   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Althea,

I stand corrected.

Clay kindly pmed me and told me that both Landis and Landis Frost Resistant were offered by SSE itself in the 2006 Yearbook.

Here by the computer I only have my 2005 Yearbook and earlier ones while my 2006 one is in the back room on my tomato seed packing table.

And I had only looked in the 2005 one and a few earlier ones and did not see anything with a Google search other than the Turtle place.

So thanks to Clay for that information.
Old February 20, 2006   #10
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

I grew Super Sioux this past summer...got the seeds from www.heirloomacres.net The plants produced nice 6-8 ounce round tomatoes...nice tomato taste and pretty productive. They did seem to do better than other varieties when the weather got really hot.
Adenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2006   #11
Althea
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the additional info Carolyn (and Clay). I'll try it this year and report back.

Thanks for your input and link Adenn1. Your climate is much warmer than mine so I shouldn't have to worry about our usual August meltdown.