Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old September 17, 2013   #1
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

Default chocolate blues

Chocolate Blues from Tom Wagner: work in progress, brown/black fruited tomato with a fair amount of blue showing up on the shoulders. It has stripes and are dramatic with the interplay of blue on chocolate. A few of my chocolate blues spoiled on the vine while I waited for them to turn brown/black. I noticed the color change today and they were ripe. Not really what they were supposed to be but they are beautiful!
Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chocolate blues.jpg (159.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg chocolate blues2.jpg (220.0 KB, 56 views)
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2013   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Chocolate Blues, Muddy Waters, Blue Green are but a few of my GWR blue shouldered tomatoes with stripes. The earlier versions of some of these started out with with smokey brown flesh but segregated for green flesh.

I have used the first two in lots of crosses this season. Often when I used them as female parents I didn't always get a good hand pollination and the seed set was low causing the locules not to be filled well with seed.

Below is a cut up tomato fruit of Muddy Waters...looks similar to my versions of breeder seed of Chocolate Blues. The pollen used to get seed of this fruit was Green Zebra which makes seed of it an F-1 hybrid and backcross at the same time.

Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2013   #3
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Most importantly what's the taste like

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2013   #4
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

They look lovely Minnesota Mato. Similarly I was surprised to see some GWR types show this year from my saved seed (Although the 3 plants I had last year all had brown/black fruit).

1-083 by jayb 35, on Flickr

Chocolate Blues must be one of my favourite of the 'Antho' tomatoes. Taste overall has been very good with a not too sweet, deep rich 'tomatoey' flavour.

But one of the stand-outs for me was this striped GWR, sweeter than the blacks and tasted gorgeous!

1-059 by jayb 35, on Flickr
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote